Is a vintage Craftsman horizontal bandsaw up to the task?

Quick Cal

Registered
Registered
I'm going to try and learn how to weld. I'm setting up to do some small hobby welding projects. I need a way to cut material. Mostly small stuff. I'm not interested in an abrasive cut off saw.

How would an old school cool vintage Craftsman saw compare to an Asian 4x6? Is the Craftsman capable of cutting just as straight?
Comparing the accuracy of the cuts between an old Craftsman, Asian 4x6, or a portable bandsaw on a stand, are any of them able to just cut and go with minimum dressing up and go weld?

Point is if each one would need trued up I do have an old Craftsman disc/belt combo sander I can drag out of the basement for the task. I was planning on putting it into service anyway. If I have to straighten up a crooked cut, maybe I should just pic the saw I like best and go with it?

I really like these old Craftsman's. Are they worth having? They are a bit smaller than the 4x6 and I might be able to sit one on my work bench. It would look good next to my old 1936 Walker Turner drill press.

Random pic of the saw I found on line. And my drill press just for cool factor,,,lol.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 49
  • craftsman bandsaw ad.jpg
    craftsman bandsaw ad.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 48
  • 20221230_081136.jpg
    20221230_081136.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 52
In it's day the Craftsman was probably a better machine than the modern Asian equivalent. However, it may have had a hard life between then and now. With a used machine condition is everything and every machine is an individual.

Your pictures are random internet photos... Are you looking at a specific saw that someone in your area is selling? Or just asking a general question? If you are looking at a specific saw, then investigate the condition of that particular saw. If you are just asking a general question, be careful of getting your heart set on some classic old machine that may never show up for sale within 500 miles of you.

In it's day the Craftsman was probably a better machine than the modern Asian equivalent. However, it may have had a hard life between then and now. With a used machine condition is everything and every machine is an individual.

Your pictures are random internet photos... Are you looking at a specific saw that someone in your area is selling? Or just asking a general question? If you are looking at a specific saw, then investigate the condition of that particular saw. If you are just asking a general question, be careful of getting your heart set on some classic old machine that may never show up for sale within 500 miles of you.
Right now just asking general questions. If the Craftsman will cut just as true as the Asian I would rather go that route.

Right now just asking general questions. If the Craftsman will cut just as true as the Asian I would rather go that route.
A Craftsman with 30-60 years of use is unlikely to cut straight without significant TLC. The pivots are likely to be worn out and that determines the straightness. You could make bushings and do a repair, but that is a project in itself. On the other hand if you find one that's been sitting in the back of a garage and barely used you win. I can't stress enough that condition is EVERYTHING with used machines.

The Asian machines have a gearbox with the gears running in oil- I believe the Craftsman uses a different drive system- open gearing
For longevity I would pick the Asian machine, for coolness factor the Craftsman

I have one I bought new. Blades are hard to source. You can not use any kind of cutting lub or the blade will come off. The plastic bevel gear is the weak part of the machine. On a used one check to make sure it is good. They can be hard to find. I had to make a replacement for mine. If set up right it will cut straight.

Either saw can be found cheaply on the used market. With patience you should be able to find one under $150, sometimes under $100. A newer HF (or similar) is likely to have less wear. For stick or MIG welding they will cut plenty close. For finer, TIG work, I generally true the cuts on my belt sander. Don't trust the miter gauge on your sander, the slot on my Craftsman is not parallel to the platen. FWIW, I bought a new HF. It cut true and square out of the box, even with the "crappy" original blade.

Take a look at a Milwaukee Porta Band. Handheld bandsaw. Can find them used in pawn shops. Porter Cable made one too. Also Milwaukee makes a hand held 8 inch circular saw for metal. Also can get abrasive blades for 7 1/4 handheld circular saw for wood.

How about a vintage vertical band saw ?

I don't really have room for one. I need something small to go on top of my workbench, or slide under it out of the way until I'm ready to use it. The workbench is just a repurposed countertop.

Just to give you an idea of what I'm dealing with here's a short video of my garage. Maybe I should start by cleaning it,,,lol.

Back