Is bronze grabby?

Looks like a drill bit failure to me. Some grades of bronze can be a pickle to machine, but that don't look to be your issue.

Yeep. I've never had a drill bit fail like that. I'd guesstimate a manufacturing defect in the bit itself.

Is there any evidence of a rusty or dirty spot at the beginning or end of the break? it could indicate a crack that wasn't picked up when they hardened the flutes. How about the grain in the break? Does it look like smooth steel or does it have a "gravelly" look to it?

Last edited:
yikes! Bronze and brass are grabby in my experience, and brass will certainly autofeed. Also looks like you had a lot of chatter - did you drill a pilot hole? Sometimes you get better holes just by plowing straight through in one go.

Wow! It should take a lot more than that to break a 9/16...

-Bear

Yes, brass & bronze can grab, help see my previous post (and others) in this thread. Hovever, the hole doesn’t show signs of grabbing, just chatter (as noted by @mattthemuppet2). I suspect a bad bit.

I read on a site dedicated to tool sharpening that most drills that are set up for steel at 7deg and he suggested 4-5deg for brass and bronze. Works good for me and also slower rpm.

Back