Is it possible to clean rotor discs

tim81

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys,

Today I went for the usual yearly inspection and I was told it would cost around 850$ to replace both front and rear rotor/pads.

My Subaru Impreza rotors are 275mm. Has anyone managed to make a rig to clean the rotors.

If the rotors are at the wear limit then there's noting that can be done.
I recall reading that OEM rotors tend to be thinner today so don't have enough thickness to resurface.

I have only ever replaced rotors on my 98 K1500 4x4 because they warped beyond repair on a regular basis. Too small for the weight of the truck and payload.

Hi Guys,

Today I went for the usual yearly inspection and I was told it would cost around 850$ to replace both front and rear rotor/pads.

My Subaru Impreza rotors are 275mm. Has anyone managed to make a rig to clean the rotors.
I'll just share my history with rotors. It used to be common practice to have the rotors cleaned up / trued at automotive machine shops. Even some mechanic shops had brake lathes that would do drums or disc machining. They saved a lot of money back then and made sense. The rotors had a minimum thickness that was easy to find.
But, the last time I took some rotors in that were plenty thick, I was very disappointed in the work that was done. The rotors clearly weren't set up correctly. They don't have machinists running those brake lathes. When I put them on and checked with a dial indicator the faces ran out more that ten thousandths. So I had to buy new rotors and they ran quite true.

My advice is to shop around for a better price on your rotors. Sounds to me like you are taking to a dealer with those prices.

I'll just share my history with rotors. It used to be common practice to have the rotors cleaned up / trued at automotive machine shops. Even some mechanic shops had brake lathes that would do drums or disc machining. They saved a lot of money back then and made sense. The rotors had a minimum thickness that was easy to find.
But, the last time I took some rotors in that were plenty thick, I was very disappointed in the work that was done. The rotors clearly weren't set up correctly. They don't have machinists running those brake lathes. When I put them on and checked with a dial indicator the faces ran out more that ten thousandths. So I had to buy new rotors and they ran quite true.

My advice is to shop around for a better price on your rotors. Sounds to me like you are taking to a dealer with those prices.
I got a pair of new one too. Subaru wanted 850 just parts rotor brake pads if you did not order them online that have big discounts. I don’t use them very often as I do 80% highway. So if the minimum is met after the cleanup I would very moch like to save 300$

How did you do them man.
Meaning how did I replace them? I just bought new ones. They were cheap though, like $80 a piece so it was not a big deal.
I used to have a 2000 Subaru Legacy that was a brute to have repaired. Loved the car because of the snow handling but it was a total lemon and it bled me dry so I sold it.

Meaning how did I replace them? I just bought new ones. They were cheap though, like $80 a piece so it was not a big deal.
I used to have a 2000 Subaru Legacy that was a brute to have repaired. Loved the car because of the snow handling but it was a total lemon and it bled me dry so I sold it.
I mean how did you resurface the rotors.

Back