Is it possible to get igauging displays to read different reader heads?

RaisedByWolves

Mangler of grammar, off my meds.
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a set of these scales I wanted to put on my mill. The only problem is my mill was made way before DROs were a thing and there are few if any good mounting points for the scales.

If I go one way the scales eat up valuable space (1/2” on a 6” travel) and if I go the other it leaves the scales vulnerable to damage.

So this leads me to want to use magnetic tape and small read heads that I can easily mount.

What I want it Tdro, but I can’t afford that right now so I’m looking to use the readouts I have if possible.

Are these systems all similar enough that I can mix and match or are they proprietary?

I think the answer is no, the Igaging stuff is capacitive and proprietary format- not compatible with anything else
-M
Magnetic tape might be problematic in the presence of ferrous metal particles- you'd want something enclosed somehow

I think the answer is no, the Igaging stuff is capacitive and proprietary format- not compatible with anything else
-M
Magnetic tape might be problematic in the presence of ferrous metal particles- you'd want something enclosed somehow
I’ve wondered about the tape attracting metal dust, but with the metal tape overlay and wipers it doesn’t seem like it will be too much of an issue.

If I was putting these on a grinder that would be a different story.

Who sells these magnetic tape systems? I didn't know they were a thing

Who sells these magnetic tape systems? I didn't know they were a thing
Me neither until I started reading the Tdro forum.

For this mill (early 70s Steinel) and the Prazi lathe and mini mill I have they seem perfect even if I have to go the extra mile to keep them clean.

Same technology used in digital calipers and I’m hell on those with no I’ll effects.

I have a set of these scales I wanted to put on my mill. The only problem is my mill was made way before DROs were a thing and there are few if any good mounting points for the scales.

If I go one way the scales eat up valuable space (1/2” on a 6” travel) and if I go the other it leaves the scales vulnerable to damage.

So this leads me to want to use magnetic tape and small read heads that I can easily mount.

What I want it Tdro, but I can’t afford that right now so I’m looking to use the readouts I have if possible.

Are these systems all similar enough that I can mix and match or are they proprietary?
Actually, with a little imagination the Igage units can be fitted to almost anything, I have a 2 axis table on my drill press and they worked well there.

20200527_200331_1.jpg

Its all proprietary pritty much some can be wired to work.

Back