Is it the end mill or the machinist??

When looking at the chip load for mild steel using a carbide cutter, I usually see 0.001" for a 1/4" carbide end mill. SFM range anywhere from approximately 50-250, using 200 which may be a bit on the high side if harder material, you get an RPM of 3000 with 12 IPM, if 150 then 2300 RPM with 9 IPM. I only do manual milling, but use a power feed and set the IPM off of the DRO. With steel I use 4 flute carbide and cobalt end mills usually with some cutting oil, with a full size knee mill I usually end up milling at 1/2 the rated SFM, and usually a bit lower on the RPM. You might be a bit too aggressive in your milling parameters.

I will just have to try the slots again with a slower feed. No big deal, I am not running production here.

So, with that being said, could the chip loads safely go up if the diameter of the end mill went up as well? Like a 1/2" or 3/4" end mill? This reminds me of when I used a little 1/16" 4 flute carbide end mill on some aluminum a while back. a 0.0005 chip load caused it to break within about 5 minutes of use. I had to back the feed down to about 0.0002 chip load and the second end mill survived the whole cycle.

Last edited:
I will just have to try the slots again with a slower feed. No big deal, I am not running production here.

So, with that being said, could the chip loads safely go up if the diameter of the end mill went up as well? Like a 1/2" or 3/4" end mill? This reminds me of when I used a little 1/16" 4 flute carbide end mill on some aluminum a while back. a 0.0005 chip load caused it to break within about 5 minutes of use. I had to back the feed down to about 0.0002 chip load and the second end mill survived the whole cycle.
Yep! Bigger the end mill, bigger the chip load.

When you run a 4 flute vs. a 2 flute cutter, you're basically doubling the speed of the cutter while taking off 1/2 the amount of stock. 3000 RPM is way too fast to cut any steel. If you want to hog a part, consider back gears with a faster feed.

When you run a 4 flute vs. a 2 flute cutter, you're basically doubling the speed of the cutter while taking off 1/2 the amount of stock.
With the same speed and feed, a 4 flute cutter will take twice as many cuts per revolution as a 2 flute, resulting in half the depth of cut per flute. Nothing else changes. As a side effect of the cutter shapes, chip clearing may not be as good with the 4 flute and tool rigidity and strength will less with the 2 flute.

If rigidity is not an issue I'd guess either re-cutting chips or material pickup on the flutes could be causing the problem, flood or air plus lube might make a difference,
Regards,
Nick

Sounds like you figured it out. I have a small cnc mill and I wouldn't run that chip load and cut speed. The cost of good end mills usually makes me error toward the conservative side and have the job take a little longer. I don't do production either so usualy in no rush but then again it's been a while since I've broken an end mill which I save for programming blunders and user error.

With the same speed and feed, a 4 flute cutter will take twice as many cuts per revolution as a 2 flute, resulting in half the depth of cut per flute. Nothing else changes. As a side effect of the cutter shapes, chip clearing may not be as good with the 4 flute and tool rigidity and strength will less with the 2 flute.

I think that's what I said but in English

Are the end mills center cutting?
If not could be part of the problem

Back