Is it worth it?

nsfr1206

Registered
Registered
Hi all. I am new here and have very limited machining experience. I own an HF 7x10 and have used it a little. My question is about a lathe my neighbor has. It is a Sidney with herringbone gears in it. It was built in June of 1944 and is a 16x48(approx). It was used by Mississippi State College and seems to be in good shape, only tooling is a four jaw chuck. My problem is, someone let me know that the speed may be too slow for using carbide cutters. Top speed is around 550 rpm. And if I use it on small stuff the IPM will be low. Any opinions about this? This thing is about 10 feet long total and probably around 5,000 pounds. David

If it is free? Sure. It is a pretty big step up in size and with no tooling which will cost you tons of cash as well the rpm limits. I would step aside and look at a more modern unit. If looking new Jet gh1440 or Grizzly g4003 would be better starting point in my opinion. Others will have their own views based on their experiences. Just do not get sucked into the USA - China/Taiwan debate. Look at what you can or will use and what tooling is available.

sidney.jpgI don't have any pics but maybe I can find one on net. Yes, double helical and no it's not free. $1200. I think top rpm is 541. Motor rpm is 8??. Three phase 7.5 hp. Built in Sidney, Ohio. I believe Sidney turned into Monarch or something.

Here is a pic of a smaller one. This is a 16x30. It's top speed is listed at 562 rpm.

sidney.jpg

Last edited:
gears.jpgAnd this is similar to the gears I was referring to. They are said to be herringbone gears.

gears.jpg

If that is the RPM I would leave it where it is. Also I think the price is a bit high as no one will want it because it's not something easily moved.
I would just look out for a 12 x 36 second hand which come up around that price.

Dave

If your workpiece is 12" in diameter, that's fast enough. BUT, how much of that are you planning? Sounds to me that it would be better left in his hands. Especially at that price. Advice on tooling is right. Big chunk of the machine budget.

The possibly could be some gain by switching motors, but of course, all the speed labels would be wrong, and the bearings aren't likely to be reliable at higher than design speeds.

My suggestion: Look around for a machine better suited to your needs.

The motor is likely turning 1760 rpm not 8. The rpm is just too slow for carbide. HSS tooling is what the lathe was designed for. I see that the former owners have gone out of business and parts will be salvage used only. They are maybe excellent lathes but I would not even bring it onto the floor at work. We currently have an old Colchester Student and it is well past it's prime. Late 40s and $500 is all it is worth. Look for something newer.

BTW HSS tooling is cheaper and better for the average user, Carbides real value is in a shop where time equals $.

Back