Is there a comparison chart available?

oogenshire

Registered
Registered
may have the opportunity to purchase a new lathe soon, looking for a 14 inch PM has several models in this range but have not found on the site a comparison chart it would be super handy to narrow down which one i would be interested in.
thanks!

All too good to have a list of features that you might have to focus on.

I think what he means is tell us about your intended use and what machines you're interested in, we might be able to help.

Comparison charts probably won't work for something like a 14" lathe, too many variables....

John

Well there is one easy comparison, and that is where it was made. Due to quality control (QC) and initial designs the Taiwan models are preferred over the China models, but they cost more. The China model that you get maybe fine or it may have problems.... QC so you have to gamble to save a bit.

Dave L.

well thats the thing, im going to do everything with it, gunsmithing, tinkering, r&D art stuff. its not going to be a production machine (at least most of the time). im looking for an accurate solid platform in a size im not likely to grow out of, gap bed is nice. i understand the taiwan thing, i just dont know if i will be able to justify the 4k price differences between them for a hobby machine. that all being said, if i went tawainese i would be the 1440 gunsmith lathe, but price/feature wise im reading though the 1440-bv manual right now,

Go with the Tiawan model. I did and had plenty of minor things to correct. I can't imagine the hell you will go through with a China model.

If sounds like oohenshire wants a quick cross reference of what feature set he can get for a particular amount of money? This is how I would shop for a new lathe!

will be able to justify the 4k price differences between them for a hobby machine. that all being said, if i went tawainese i would be the 1440 gunsmith lathe, but price/feature wise im reading though the 1440-bv manual right now,

I understand. I purchased the PM1440GT(Taiwan) and have not regretted it. On the other hand I purchased the PM940M-CNC-VS (China) a few years back and while I have made considerable use of it. I have also spend as many hours just trying to take care of the problems. One by one I have solved several of them but others, which I may not be able to fix are still on the list. Things like non-parallel horizontal ways, or the head being so heavy that it bends the vertical ways as it goes up and down, are pretty hard to fix without spending more than the machine is worth. Since either of these purchases the prices have gone up substantially. The 1440GT also came with accessories that are no longer included. So maybe it was a worth while investment rather than getting a cheaper on and then upgrading later! ;)

My unsolicited advice to the OP - if you purchase a machine from PM skip the accessories package. Invest in a real quick change tool holder and high quality 3 jaw chuck and then purchase tooling/accessories as you need them.

My unsolicited advice to the OP - if you purchase a machine from PM skip the accessories package. Invest in a real quick change tool holder and high quality 3 jaw chuck and then purchase tooling/accessories as you need them.
when i play with the configurator i have pretty much every time upgraded the 3 jaw and the 5c chuck and toolpost

Back