Is there a way to fix these clamps?

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Seems I have managed to inherit a bunch of old c-clamps. Think they came from my maternal grandfather. I have four "Brink & Cotton" c-clamps that seem to have been sprung. They were either the Harbor Freight of their day, or they may have been abused past their limit. They seem to be marked as malleable or ductile iron. Is there anyway to fix these clamps, or should they be scrapped or repurposed? Have a bunch more clamps, most Brink & Cotton but some Cincinnati. Most are acme threaded but a few are 60 degree threads. Here are two of them. I could have sworn one had some cracks, but can't seem to find that one.
PXL_20220413_182207091.jpgPXL_20220413_182214297.jpg
It's not like I need them, but, it would be good to fix them, or have them find new homes. Are they fixable? Or is that a fool's errand?

I’d try heat shrinking the inside edge if you have an oxy-fuel torch.

I’d try heat shrinking the inside edge if you have an oxy-fuel torch.
So the top inside corner or where? Or do you mean literally the raised inside surface facing the screw? Guess, I'm not sure where you mean. Have oxy-acetylene, so heat is not a problem.

Heating the metal sufficiently and then cooling it will cause it to shrink. So you want to do that where shrinking will pull the structure into your desired alignment. I’d do it here:
93b69b5dc5d09cd0bedb5d31e5fd78b5.jpg

Heating the metal sufficiently and then cooling it will cause it to shrink. So you want to do that where shrinking will pull the structure into your desired alignment. I’d do it here:
93b69b5dc5d09cd0bedb5d31e5fd78b5.jpg
Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Heating malleable iron and quenching it is liable to alter the physical characteristics of the metal, not to the good; generally, sprung clamps are not worth messing with ---

Mallable iron is very close to what we today know as steel. Heating and then coolong will be likely the best solution. "C" clamps were meant to hold two pieces together as the were more permanantly attached. They were never intended for, but often used for, making temporary repairs or shaping parts. Heating sprung clamps will (most likely) restore the general shape. But the ability to clamp will be greatly reduced.

Mallable iron is very close to what we today know as steel. Heating and then coolong will be likely the best solution. "C" clamps were meant to hold two pieces together as the were more permanantly attached. They were never intended for, but often used for, making temporary repairs or shaping parts. Heating sprung clamps will (most likely) restore the general shape. But the ability to clamp will be greatly reduced.

I was under no illusion that they would be good as new afterwards. Maybe they would have some minor utility, or maybe not.

Heating malleable iron and quenching it is liable to alter the physical characteristics of the metal, not to the good; generally, sprung clamps are not worth messing with ---
Thanks for your assessment. Sometimes I get carried away trying to save something that really may not be worth the effort. Might try one for the heck of it, but am not expecting as new any performance. Think these clamps were sprung before I was born.

I was under no illusion that they would be good as new afterwards. Maybe they would have some minor utility, or maybe not.
It is my understanding that malleable iron (if the clamps are truly just that) is white cast iron (very hard and brittle) that is annealed over a long period to make it some sort of a cousin of steel, heat and quench is liable to make it brittle again. I don't think much of anything is made of malleable iron anymore, it has been replaced by ductile iron, which is much cheaper to produce.

Back