Is there a way to fix these clamps?

I bought a pair of 6" Brink & Cotton C-clamps from the local hardware store almost 50 years ago. While I try not to abuse my tools, these two clamps have done everything I have asked of them, and show no wear of deformation. They are not as heavy-duty as my Williams and Armstrong clamps, but they are plenty strong for all but extreme tasks.

Armstrong forged steel clamps.
I have a pair of StrongHand clamps. I thought they were Armstrongs??
I'll have to check them out.
These StrongHand clamps are the real deal. With a price tag to match!

Attachments

• clamp.jpg
    clamp.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 8
I have a small, cute C-clamp that I bought at a garage sale. The owner must have made a custom fixture or something, since there was a hole drilled in the frame. When I clamped something, the frame cracked at the hole, and the clamp bent. I bent it back, but it was was flimsy due to the fatigue. Cast iron cannot take much bending. I had heard about cast iron welding rod, and wanted to repair it, but it seems to be hard to find. Somebody was selling a few sticks on Ebay for $80. Too much. So the lousy clamp went into the to-do box until I found a shard of cast iron from a shattered drain cover in the street. I used an oxy-propane torch, and it flowed in like "buttah". It was a good strong repair, but the decarburized zone became susceptible to rust. Another one of those "stupid metal tricks".

Anyway, cast iron cannot take much bending, heat or no heat. A forged steel clamp is much more forgiving.

I have a pair of StrongHand clamps. I thought they were Armstrongs??
I'll have to check them out.
These StrongHand clamps are the real deal. With a price tag to match!
That's no stinkin Armstrong...
Now this is an ArmStrong, and legstrong, and just beefy strong.
talking the middle guy... hand for sizing... Never let one of these drop on your foot.
20220414_171711.jpg

Back