Is there anything like Unistrut, but about 1/4 to 1/3 the cross dimensions?

Frank O

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
For a project I need to fab up a cube with (preferably) metal cross-members to support a lot of pieces of fairly small electronics gear. Overall it will be roughly 2 feet on each side.

The ideal thing would be something similar to Unistrut, but about 1/4 to 1/3 the cross dimensions (in other words, about 3/8" to 1/2" across instead of Unistrut's standard 1 5/8"). Other kinds of material, even non-metal, would be okay as long as it's reasonably strong.

Does anything like this exist?

Maybe something like this? Fits a 3/8” x 3/4” dado so maybe not quite as small as you’d like but getting close.

1662849801462.png

-frank

Unistrut has a P6000 Series strut product that is 13/16 x 13/16 steel. I've never used it but I'm guessing that it won't be quite as easy to find as the standard strut system components.

They also have a P7000 Series that is 13/16 wide and 13/32 high.

Look at din rail.

Modules snap on and very low profile.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Many industrial components are DIN rail mounting. It is a standard in the field, most any device can be adapted or has an adapter.

Thanks for all the suggestions. All would work in different ways, but what caught my eye was DIN rail. I was generally aware of its use in electrical, but now see it gets a lot of use in electronics. When adapters aren't available or too expensive, I can probably 3D-print something. Will try some things out.

This was a long ago din rail project.

The modules in top left are "project boxes" that are available, there are different styles and sizes, you built custom stuff inside them, then snap onto rail.

This has power supplies, relays and contractors as a control system.
88b2bc554748e52532cd2f36d833b323.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back