Is there such a thing as a Sunnen Lathe

CNC Dude

Active User
Registered
As I continue my search for a lathe, I found a posting on the CL with very little information but a phone number. I quickly called and found out this could be the lathe for me! But... could it?

It measures 12 x 36, according to the owner, and has a three jaw chuck plus some cutters. Sounds like a lathe, doesn't it?

Where all hell breaks loose is in the fact that this lathe is apparently branded as Sunnen.

As I look and look, all I can see Sunnen being famous (or at least known) for is honing machines. I couldn't find a single lathe with the Sunnen brand.

I haven't still seen pictures, which should be here any minute, but I am expecting this is either a Honing machine the owner has confused with a lathe, or perhaps it is in actuality a Lathe, except somehow it got a Sunnen decal adhered to it.

Unless any of you can validate that in fact there is such a thing as a Sunnen 12 x 36 lathe???

did sunnen possibly make a brake lathe? otherwise someone just put a sunnen nameplate on it maybe--it may be good to look at to see just what actual brand it is if it is priced right

A friend of mine has been a Sunnen distributor for years and he used to work for Sunnen too. Give them a call and ask for Lendel and say I said hello. I am sure he can tell you all you need to know. http://www.barksequipment.com/ Rich

Well---have you got any pictures of it yet or found out any more information--we are all waiting to find out what kind of bargain you may have run onto. ----Dave :thinking:

The guy never sent me the pictures and I grew tired of asking. How much does somebody wants to tell something that the buyer has to almost beg to get some pictures? He then posted on the CL that he was going to post the pictures by that Friday. That was over a week ago, so as you can imagine we will never know what this apparent Sunnen was. I am almost positive, however, this is not a lathe but a honing machine.

The search continues...

PS Somebody in Abilene posted a lathe which would have been precisely what I was looking for. It is a Jet 12 x 36 very similar to the import form factor I have been looking for. There was just one dinky little problem. This lathe is from the 1980's, has been in storage for 10 years but somehow the owner is convinced this marvelous piece of equipment is worth $3000. Not certain in which parallel universe that lathe is $3000...

Take a look in the Restoration and scraping forum. Someone just posted 2 machines for 500.00 in Forth Worth I think. The Logan would be worth fixing. Rich

Back