Is there such a thing as an R8 collet block?

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a 5C collet block which comes in handy sometimes, but I only have a couple collets.

I have a boatload of R8 collets.

An R8 collet block would be more practical for me, but I have not seen them.

I haven't seen them for sale anywhere, but I could definitely see the draw. The biggest downside is that you cannot pass stock through the block.

I have one that I bought at the swapmeet for $7 but looks homemade. so I guess if you have the ability you can make one. have not used it because I have 5c and ER32 hex and square.

Use your 5C collet block to make your own R8 collet block. Or just bite the bullet and buy more 5C collets. I just happen to have 4 duplicates I would like to sell. All 4 are Hardinge and are used. They are 1/8, 1/4, 1, and 1-1/16. $8 each plus shipping.

I have a 5C collet block which comes in handy sometimes, but I only have a couple collets.

I have a boatload of R8 collets.

An R8 collet block would be more practical for me, but I have not seen them.
I have wondered and asked that on different forums. I only found mention of it on Alibaba but couldn't seem to be able to order it. So it's down the list of todo's. Before that I want to make block for r8 that I can swap into my QCTP to do deep drilling on the lathe where my tail stock can't get in there.

I have wondered and asked that on different forums. I only found mention of it on Alibaba but couldn't seem to be able to order it. So it's down the list of todo's. Before that I want to make block for r8 that I can swap into my QCTP to do deep drilling on the lathe where my tail stock can't get in there.
More handy and effective is a QCTP holder that is either made with a morse taper socket or one that mounts a drill chuck, which is better in some ways, since the overall length is shorter than the MT block when using a drill chuck in it.
A disadvantage to using R8 is that they do not have the maximum capacity of the 5C, besides not having the pass through capability. Personally, I use collets very little, and only in square and hex blocks. Most such work is done in a dividing head with a 3 jaw chuck. Both my lathes came with collet attachments that took other, less popular collets, and a Jacobs collet outfit.

It only takes creativity; if you have a lathe and a mill, select decent material. I have a drawing with details sorted out.
It'll only cost you a PM.
Preceding considerations offered are valid; but neglect fact building up a shop is only linear with serious resources. Awhile later you'll buy 5C's like everyone else does; but won't/ can't claim they know about making operative blocks.

Somewhere on the Internet, a guy did a write up when he made such a device. Unfortunately, that’s all I remember.

Back