• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Is this a good candidate for RPC upgrade?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

dlane

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Link didn’t work , for me

FOMOGO

Active User
Thanks for letting me know. Just tried it and it works for me, but will list the data here. Toshiba 3 phase, TEFC, 60 HZ, 1175 rpm, 230/460 V, 57/28.5 amps, 6 poles, max ambient temp 40 deg C, time rating-continuous, frame 286T, service factor 1.15

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Never heard of a 6 pole motor being used for a RPC, but I don't know why it wouldn't work. I suspect the reason that they are not used is because they are not very common, and more expensive than a 4 pole motor.

JohnG

Active User
Registered
I've built RPCs with both 3450 and 1725 rpm motors, and they worked exactly the same. A slower speed motor develops higher torque to deliver the same power as a higher speed motor, so the rotor will be heavier. I think that accelerating the heavier rotor puts more stress on the starter capacitor and that the heavier rotating mass helps when starting a run motor under load like a compressor or hoist. That's seat of the pants observation, not the opinion of a trained electrical engineer.

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Makes sense to me, and I've been toilet trained, for the most part

[6]
[5] [7]