Is this a good drill press?

Jake2465

Registered
Registered
I have been thinking about buying this drill press instead of one from Lowes. Looks like it could be easily configured to run big drill bits and such. I don't know anything about these though. Only ones I am used to are the modern ones that most every other shop owns.

drill press 1.jpg

drill press 2.jpg

drill press 3.jpg

Classic old iron! Would take a little TLC, but should be restorable to real workhorse condition. My only concern would be that the max speed might be limited. It may not be real useful for 1/16" holes :)

Classic old iron! Would take a little TLC, but should be restorable to real workhorse condition. My only concern would be that the max speed might be limited. It may not be real useful for 1/16" holes :)

I have a little table top drill press that has more speed. Actually, that is the reason that i have been in the market for a suitable replacement. Those little cheap hardware store tabletop drill presses are better suited for shooting holes in wood, not steel. One of the more annoying parts about it is that when applying pressure with the quill, the table tends to deflect downward because there's not enough meat holding it to the column. I had another option to get a bigger drill press, but that deal fell through. Then, this one showed up.

Last edited:
Worth it just for the cool factor. Might need a few bushings and such, but a pretty straight forward design and looks to be stout enough. Just screams for some type of ornamental piece to go round and round on top of the spindle. Mike

Just screams for some type of ornamental piece to go round and round on top of the spindle.
... maybe some kind of propeller, to keep you cool while running it :)

Sorry, not even if for free and free delivery. Don’t get any part of your body and or clothing near that drive train. I like my Clausing floor model variable speed drill press too much!

Sorry, not even if for free and free delivery. Don’t get any part of your body and or clothing near that drive train. I like my Clausing floor model variable speed drill press too much!

I guess my thought on that is if I am foolish enough to play around with the works while it's rotating under power, then I deserve whatever happens. My lathe is a SB-405 and I still have all my fingers after four years of owning it :D. I don't have the guards for the bull gear and change gears on there either.

I guess my thought on that is if I am foolish enough to play around with the works while it's rotating under power, then I deserve whatever happens. My lathe is a SB-405 and I still have all my fingers after four years of owning it :D. I don't have the guards for the bull gear and change gears on there either.
Please don’t get me wrong, I like old things. But when it comes to my Hobby Shop and the toys that I make in it. I what to be stress free, easy going, have fun and be SAFE. I find it much easier in my Hobby Shop to have machines with good bells and whistles. And not something I have to work around its idiosyncrasies. Like comparing a Pinto to a Lamborghini. Both will get you to your destination. But what a ride the Lamborghini will give you!

Back