Is this a good mill to buy (Cincinnati Toolmaster 1d)

Cooped_Up

Registered
Registered
I have a step pully Bridgeport for reference as I have a mill already. I found this mill and it has been outside for about 5 days now which I don't like but it's still mostly covered in oil grime and today was the first time it rained in a month. the mill has a variable belt drive, 40 taper, and still moves freely. I tried to feel slop in the table and saddle by wiggling it with my body weight and didn't feel any. the table screw has around 8 thou play and the saddle was 10thou if I remember correctly. it has a micrometer built into the saddle, the only problem I found was the gear shift knob didnt want to come out of the hole to shift to neutral so I couldnt spin the spindle. other than turning the belt by hand 106006702_1883853021751490_251770285919923412_o.jpg

probably should have said it was $1000 and an hour and a half away and I dont think My trailer can handle it

Offer him $500 to get it out of the weather.

Personally I'd stay away from it . :) I would look for a better machine at that price .

Personally I'd stay away from it . :) I would look for a better machine at that price .
I would love to find a better lathe but the one I want is $1000 and like 7 hours away and I'm not 100 on the condition of it. The mill I have at the moment was $850 but 20 minutes away. It came with a vise and was covered in grease. Needless to say it is well worn

Unfortunately they are the scrap yard and that price is apparently the only way they will make more profit than scraping it.

Well if it's already there....

I seem to remember though when sheet iron was $230/net ton that was pretty high. Have to agree $1000 is too much.

John

I would love to find a better lathe but the one I want is $1000 and like 7 hours away and I'm not 100 on the condition of it. The mill I have at the moment was $850 but 20 minutes away. It came with a vise and was covered in grease. Needless to say it is well worn

That would make a very poor lathe....

I believe you can do decent work with a worn Bridgeport and people rebuild them all the time so lots of parts and expertise. The Cincy is a stout machine that could certainly be brought back to life but the price would need to be right. For $1000 it should be under power and making chips.

JMH (and probably uninformed) O.

John

Well thanks for convincing me not to go for it. I will continue the search for a cheaper or ideally horizontal mill or lathe

I also should have said I have a lathe it's just... It was $125 and is 100 years old and was abused for half it's life. It's a Seneca falls star lathe and it is a 11" swing I think

Back