Is This A Quality Mobile Machine Base?

Chip

Active User
Registered
I've been wanting a Jet vertical bandsaw for a while and noticed the mobile base attached to this one. (the saw is wood only so I am not interested in that)
9_57.JPG
This looks like a pretty decent caster unit, but I can't find it anywhere in the Jet catalog. Can anyone identify it or recommend something similar that they know is good?

It's hard to tell for sure but when I zoom in it looks like a HTC logo but it looks different than any HTC mobile base that I have seen. I suspect it is an older or modified HTC. I have 3 machines on HTC mobile bases (Delta bandsaw, Powermatic wood shaper and Powermatic belt/disk sander). They are ok but not great. The welded ones made for a specific machine seem to be better than the bolt together ones that are adjustable. Now that I have a welder I would probably make my own rather than buy one.

EDIT:
I think I found the answer why it doesn't look like a stock HTC, read this thread on another board:

http://50.23.231.98-static.reverse.softlayer.com/BlankMan/blog/12469

Last edited:
casters look kinda......wimpy.

Not the levers, but the caster swivels and wheels themselves.

I'll tell you one thing, I have the harbor freight mobile base under my powermatic belt sander, and I am quite happy with it.
You supply your own wood or metal stretchers.
It just used wood, and it is fine.

As long as the casters don't get flattened,I guess the base is good. That bandsaw is not very heavy to begin with. What I have had trouble with was getting a base with GOOD casters under my 600# table saw. Even though the base was rated for more,it has not done well.

Lots to think about. Thanks for all the suggestions!

PS, I like the Harbor Freight type or the 0asis MB 880 type too although you do have to bend over (sometimes an effort for me, LOL) to raise/lower the docking studs.
As I tend to be somewhat clumsy, and sometimes trip over the peddles, of say the Delta style.

Back