Is This a SB Heavy 10?

Yep said:
Good news that the tailstock matched up. Otherwise acquiring a somewhat less common 10” one in good condition might have been costly. I can’t say I ever tried switching gear boxes between my 9 and 10” models, but they did appear to be the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The QCGB and the apron go hand in hand, it's a height thing. The 10K uses a 9" apron, so it would also use a 9" QCGB. The heavy 10" uses a rectangular apron and a larger QCGB.

The QCGB and the apron go hand in hand, it's a height thing. The 10K uses a 9" apron, so it would also use a 9" QCGB. The heavy 10" uses a rectangular apron and a larger QCGB.

I don't disagree with anything you said. The tag on his QCGB says it's a 10K, it could be the wrong tag or someone installed a 10K QCGB on a 9. Who knows on either account, all that matters is that it works. :)

K

So, I have an AXA QCTP and set it on the compound slide with a 3/8" HSS tool in it. As you can see the tool holder needs to be slid practically all the way down to the slide to align the tool with the work center.

I'm wondering if the dovetail graduated base the compound moves on is a standard 9A part? It seems to be thicker than ones I find pictures of online. It's about 18 mm / 0.75" thick.

It sure does look thicker than mine, like almost a 1/2".

For what it's worth that's almost exactly how my QCTP works on my Craftsman 6". It's fine for turning but a bit of a pain to use with a parting tool.

K

I just checked the compounds on my machines and here's what I found: On the 9", the base is .307" thick with an overall height of 1.500". On the heavy 10", the base is .472" with an overall height of 1.764".
Here's my theory: The 10K uses a 9" compound, with a thicker base to make up for the larger swing. So it could be that it either has the wrong base, or it could have the right base and the wrong headstock and tailstock. Since the serial# says it's a 10K, it could be the latter.
Another thing I noticed was that the compound dial has 200 graduations, something I've never seen before on a compound.

I think derf is on to something.

I suspect you have parts of a couple of machines here. If you machine came with a lantern tool post (which I'm guessing it did) it probably worked OK but with the quick change it made the parts mis-match show up.

Is the compound in decent shape? I wonder if you could trade someone for a 9 style. The 10k is a bit less common so your compound should be a tad more desirable.

K

Thanks guys. I did some more searching around. All of the photos of 9 inch SB's compounds appear to have a base that is basically about half the thickness of this one - probably the measurement of about 0.3" that derf got. That extra ~1/2 inch total height would accomodate a 10 inch swing - I'd bet it's a 10k compound base as was suggested.

I think I have a Franken-lathe! LOL. I'll sort it out.

Still going to be a few weeks before I put this thing back on the cabinet and start to fiddle with it more. I was overcome with the desire to strip, clean up, and paint that ugly green cabinet first. It's got an original grey paint, slathered over with ugly green paint laid on with a brush. Uggh... damn hillbillies.

Last edited:
Back