Is This a Step Drill

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Can't figure out the brand. I'll try to take a pic.

IMG_20180409_182426478.jpg

Can anyone figure that brand out?

15233164417441405928177.jpg

Yep . A step drill usually used in wood applications where a countersink head is used . I have sets of them . They are usually longer than the normal drill lengths . The emblem looks like the old GTD logo which is Greenfield Tap and Die . Then again , my eyes are old !

Yeah that exactly what it is. GTD on the top then AXPCO on the bottom?
Okay probably was used with plastic then. I got what seems like hundreds of these from that Thermo-King auction a few weeks ago.

They come in handy around the shop thus I've held onto them . Just having the extra length for wood projects is nice . Greenfields aren't a bad brand either ! ;)

I know. I don't do wood. LOL not yet anyway. Just a workbench.
I have a ton of tapered shank big drill bits i'm finding out or almost worthless. All big USA names like Chicago Latrobe. Michigan Drill, PTD and the like.

Taper shanks are usuable in tailstocks or drill presses but un-less they are big diameter they are most likely not used . A S&D drill takes the place . I'm in the same boat , many many TS drills in all MTs and no lathe ! Go figure .:rolleyes:

1-5/32" MT4 Greenfield I only got $20 for it. I know it wasn't new but come on now.
Maybe I'll make a donation to a tech school and get a tax write off. LOL

I know. I don't do wood. LOL not yet anyway. Just a workbench.
I have a ton of tapered shank big drill bits i'm finding out or almost worthless. All big USA names like Chicago Latrobe. Michigan Drill, PTD and the like.

Why do you think they are useless?

I don't think they are useless.
But they are almost worthless.
I bought a nice old organizer. I don't know the brand but it will be nice to keep end mills and drills and stuff. It came loaded with tooling. Mostly tapered drill bits and tons of countersinks and a lot of new ones too. I've tried to sell them on Ebay and there is really no interest. I know I don't write very good ads so I'm sure that doesn't help.

Last edited:
Back