Is This a Step Drill

I prefer MT drills 1" and up on the large lathe I run at work. They don't slip, just keep on chugging as fast as i can crank.

My lathe has a MT3 TS. Would be unwise for any reason to buy an MT3 to MT2 adapter so I could take advantage of MT2 drills?

Last edited:
My lathe has a MT3 TS. Would be unwise for any reason to but an MT3 to MT2 adapter so I could take advantage of MT2 drills?

That is just fine. At work The lathe has mt5 tail stock. I use drills with mt1 to mt4 all the time I some times have to use 2 adaptors to get there.

That is just fine. At work The lathe has mt5 tail stock. I use drills with mt1 to mt4 all the time I some times have to use 2 adaptors to get there.
I was mightily impressed one day when I saw a 3" twist drill in a drill press. That was the largest spiral drill I'd ever seen,
and when I looked closer, I saw it was in an MT6 to MT8 adapter, because that drill was too small to fit that drill press..

your step drills you show work fine for me in metal also-they are very good quality---I have many large sizes also in very long lengths to drill very deep holes--Dave

Why are they stepped? Do they produce a more accurate hole?

they may---I figure they are for a deep setted cap screw maybe---I guess I will have to research for the real reason---Dave

There is a company in Downey Ca. called Step Drills Unlimlted that I used to buy from that makes tons of step drills . We often used them on automatic machines.
Often times they are used to save a position on the turret. We bought them dozens at a time.

We use that type of drill to drill out .22 rimfire barrels for installing a barrel liner. The stepped down tip acts as a pilot allowing us to deep drill the barrels.

Back