Is This Lathe Worth Buying And Fixing?

Plain apron means that the half nuts are used for both threading and general turning and it has no power crossfeed. It a nice solid basic lathe with no bells or whistles. It weighs more than twice what the Grizzly G0765 does and has larger capacity. Parts aren't cheap but are available so as Mr Ed implies having a full or nearly full set of change gears is important.

Parts aren't cheap but are available so as Mr Ed implies having a full or nearly full set of change gears is important.
That's what I was trying to get at ... but couldn't type anymore. My computer has been freezing up every time I come to this site for the last couple weeks.

Cool, I guess there is a plain change 9B model. So maybe not the project lathe I had assumed.

On that basis, it is a much more capable lathe than anything else you can get for that price. Looks to be operational per the photos. Comes down to condition, as others mentioned.

One thing that I'll add is that bed wear on top that lowers the carriage straight down does not affect the accuracy of a machine as much as as does wear that allows the carriage to move toward the front. I wrote a paper on the subject, although it was prompted by someone who had a tailstock that was too high and wanted to know how that affected diameter accuracy. The figures are based on turning a bar between centers with the tailstock 0.010" higher than the headstock. The error varies inversely as the square of the diameter and is equally applicable to bed wear that causes the carriage to get lower as it gets near the headstock. If anyone is interested, the paper is in the Atlas lathe section of DOWNLOADS.

Back