Is this worth saving?

sdelivery

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I lost some storage space and have to make a decision to sell or scrap some items.. One is This steel bench had a 42 inch Southbend Lathe on it when I got it.
The legs are 3/16 thick the top is 1/8 inch thick the ribbing underneath is 3/16.
The motor /sheave mounting plate is 1/4
Thick with 3/16 thick gussets.
This bench appears to be built in a sheet metal shop and I purchased it from the second generation current owner.
I thought of selling but it's pretty big and heavy.. 20231006_152103.jpg20231006_152043.jpg20231006_152012.jpg20231006_151942.jpgEveryone says shipping is expensive, I don't know I haven't shipped anything in a while.

Sell local pickup only or scrap it to save hassles . Think steel is up to 8 cents a lb.

that's worth something. Those look like cast iron legs. So yea, I would sell it locally on Craigs List or FB market place or whatever.
Certainly the top can be turned over to make a decent welding table.
I think you are probably looking at between 125 and 350

I would put on CL noting it was originally a lathe stand. There is always somebody looking for a machine stand. If you don’t have anything in it why not put it in the CL free section? I mostly give away what I got for free and it usually goes same day. It‘s my version of pay it forward and it seems it pays off as I’m always running into stuff for free or cheap.

yea, but free allows someone to scrap it. if you charge them only someone who wants to use it will buy it.
I guess it depends on if it’s something you care about. Metal useful stuff like the OP I’m lucky to have a network of fellow H-M local that I seem to always be able to pass on to. Same with old mech stuff with my neighbors son. It is quite satisfying to pass on something that can be useful to somebody else and I just don’t need and need gone.

The stuff I don’t care about if they come and get it out of my hair I really don’t care if they resell or scrap.

I think I’d try to sell it first. If you just want it gone, give it away. It looks plenty useable.

Back