Is this worth saving?

List it on Craigslist as a stand for the lathe that was on it, likely someone looking for it...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Do you have any idea how much time and effort people with small mills spend trying to make a chip tray table just like that one? That thing is perfect. Not to mention for its original purpose which is a benchtop lathe. Someone is gonna want that and it would be minor crime to toss it. A little rust cleanup and paint and it'll look new.

There are quite a few horizontal bandsaws on Craigs List in the Toledo nd Sandusky area. Notably a few Johnson's and a couple Wiltons. Stay away from the Carolina ones. They're cheaply built and hard to find parts for.

Here's a link to a Wilton in Mt. Pleasant:

Personally, if I had room for it I would consider a new or used Ellis 1600. They're very popular around here, probably because they're made locally. In addition, the head swivels for miter cuts rather than the vise and the stock. The swivel head makes it much easier to cut long stock.

I currently have a Startrite H175. It's a great saw but has the swivel vise rather than the swivel head. These are higher end saws that usually sell for around $1,500.00 to $2000.00 used. I picked mine up over 20 years ago for a fraction of what they're going for today. It came from a shop in Chicago that needed a bigger machine. Rather than run it into the ground they sold it to me for a great price.

Here's a link to the Ellis 1600. They do come up on Craigs List occasionally:

If you want a truly inexpensive workhorse, you might consider an industrial power hacksaw. I have an older Racine 66W that's capable of cutting 6" round or flat stock. Here's a picture of the Startrite H175 and the Racine power hacksaw. Both are the smallest in their lineups. Both are coolant capable. The power hacksaw is a bit slower in that the fastest blade speed (140 strokes per minute) is about 60 FPM. The slowest speed on the Startrite is 60 SFM with higher speeds of 100 SFM and 160 SFM
Think you got threads crossed.

Back