ISO 22 vs ISO 32 Hydraulic oil

3strucking

Registered
Registered
My lathe calls for Tellus 22 for the pressurized headstock, which I dont have. I do have a 5 gallon bucket of ISO 32. I am tempted to use what I have vs buying another bucket of oil. Whats the opinion on 22 vs 32?

Sire, probably fine (it is not my machine). I am a proponent for following the manufacturer’s guidelines. If it calls for 22, then go get some ISO22, it is common, easy to get and not very expensive.

I have quite a few machines, the gear boxes / spindles all look pretty much the same - the OEM recommendations (I have the manual on every machine) recommends ISO 22, 32, 46, 68 & 100, What that says to me is that it probably does not matter, but it isn’t a big deal so I try hard to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations. The machine with ISO100 was complaining (hot, loud), it is much happier with the 32 oil.

I think the manufacturer might specify an oil that can be used across the entire machine, acceptable for gears, plane and roller bearings, and the sliding surfaces, transfer screws etc. even if it is not the most ideal.

My SG specified ISO5, which I was having trouble finding - so I used ISO10. It ran very warm - I tracked down some ISO5 and it now runs nice and cool.

In other words, often it does not matter. Sometimes it does.

I already have so many different types of hydraulic oil for all of the equipment and machines, I guess one more wont break me.

the difference between ISO22 and ISO32 are negligible.
where you won't go wrong with the ISO22, i wouldn't worry to much about it unless you are living in a very cold climate with an unheated shop

ISO rating of an oil is temperature dependent, so the ISO rating is typically specified at 40C. As the oil warms it gets thinner, and as it cools it can get significantly more viscous. An ISO 32 oil at 40C is probably very close to an ISO 22 oil at 30C in viscosity, but as the temperature drops the increased viscosity of an ISO 32 could be an issue in a pressurized lubrication system where higher speeds and flow are encountered. If your machine will be subjected/used at colder temperatures and/or you have high speed bearings than the ISO 22 would be recommended, otherwise the difference between the two is minimal. At higher speeds frictional/shear forces become higher, the oil is more likely to foam and heat up. With splash lubrication there is also the issue of flow to the bearings, as it is often splashed to the top of the gearbox and then flows down to the bearings by gravity. There are also difference in the oil properties based on if you have a pressurized lubrication system vs. splash, which has to do with the suspension/settling of particles and also emulsion properties of the oil. Synthetic oils offer more consistent viscosity over a wider temperature range, so one gets both decreased friction with lubrication over a wider temperature range. Not a big deal in low speed manual lathe, but with higher speeds it can make a significant difference and also can extend the time between oil changes due to oil deterioration.

I previously had a gear-head mill that ran to 3000 RPM, and the head would get so hot I couldn't touch it. When I switched to a synthetic oil the head temperature significantly dropped, the foaming quickly dissipated through the oil site level window and I picked up about 150 RPM on the top end. So there was a lot of heat/frictional energy being generated in the stock oil until I changed to a synthetic.

Bottom line, if the temperature in your shop is relatively constant and not cold, probably not much difference between an ISO 22 and ISO 32. If your shop does get cold in the winter and/or you do high speed turning then I would probably stick with an ISO 22. When a manufacturer recommend an oil they factor in the temperature range (ambient) and operating conditions of the machine.

Check the specs that Tellus 22 is actually ISO22 (very thin oil). My lathe called out Tellus 27 and when I talked to Shell support, found it was ISO32, the name didn't relate to the ISO value....

My lathe calls for Tellus 22 for the pressurized headstock, which I dont have. I do have a 5 gallon bucket of ISO 32. I am tempted to use what I have vs buying another bucket of oil. Whats the opinion on 22 vs 32?

Phrased as such, I am taking pressurized headstock as the key words. This is the oil your main bearings run on. I would order a quart of Mobil Velocite #10 for that. It sounds to me like the most critical oil in your system, why take chances when you can get the right stuff?

Back