Issue with lead screw not disengaging

jdsantiagojr

Registered
Registered
Hello. I own a 1130V and have recently been having issues with getting the lead screw to disengage. I don't remember this happening, but I have been doing a lot more threading on my current project. I can get it to stop spinning by shifting the speed handle between B and C. I am almost done with my current project and hoping to resolve the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Does your lathe have the lever to select either feed rod or lead screw?
A second knob on the gearbox reverses the power feed, driving the saddle from left to right — and the cross-slide to- wards the operator. (Reversed spindle motion is also used to cut left-hand threads.) The third knob on the gearbox selects leadscrew for thread cutting, or power feed for regular turning operations.

Does your lathe have the lever to select either feed rod or lead screw?
Yes . It has the level to select screw of feed. When selecting feed the lead spins at same time . I can actually hold it for a a few seconds with my hand to stop it completely.

Does the feed rod rotate when the lead screw position is selected?

Does the feed rod rotate when the lead screw position is selected?
No. Only when I drop into the feed screw that the lead screw continues to rotate.

I do feel as though something is not aligned. Moving the levers (direction, speed, feed) to different positions is not a very smooth transaction.

Last edited:
Looking at the parts breakdown in the owners manual, there is a sliding gear that engages the lead screw via a dog type clutch. Off the end of that shaft there are two bearings/bushings that align it with the drive shaft that exits the gear box to drive the feed rod. There may be some drag in the bearings/bushings that is causing the interface to try and rotate the lead screw when it's disengaged. Is the gearbox full of the proper oil? Insufficient or too heavy an oil as well as a mechanical problem, could cause this drag.

Last edited:
Looking at the parts breakdown in the owners manual, there is a sliding gear that engages the lead screw via a dog type clutch. Off the end of that shaft there are two bearings/bushings that align it with the drive shaft that exits the gear box to drive the feed rod. There may be some drag in the bearings/bushings that is causing the interface to try and rotate the lead screw when it's disengaged. Is the gearbox full of the proper oil? Insufficient or too heavy an oil as well as a mechanical problem, could cause this drag.
I replaced the gear oil on the apron and gearbox a couple months after receiving the machine with 75W80 gear oil from amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPCBEG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1). It has been about a year now. Do you think I should empty and replace the oil ? If I empty it should I open it up ?

I would think the oil you chose is adequate for this service.
When you shift out of lead screw drive does the lead screw turn freely by hand? Or does it have noticeable drag.

Last edited:
I would think the oil you chose is adequate for this service.
When you shift out of lead screw drive does the lead screw turn freely by hand? Or does it have noticeable drag.
Posting a video link here:

I have been having a tough time with changing gears. From the video, you can see the lead screw continuing to rotate after transitioning to the feed. I can get it to stop moving by holding the lead screw for a few seconds.

Back