Issue with lead screw not disengaging

A little late to this party, but my 1130v also behaves like this but I've never grabbed the leadscrew to find out if there's no power behind it. My lathe only started doing this after I had a minor crash, so I assumed that something in the gear train got slightly tweaked; looks like I should rip into my gears but it's not a giant problem, only a slight annoyance.

I will say though that in OP's video switching those levers (specifically the feed direction) all while under power cause me to cringe a little. I've always understood that it's best practice to stop the chuck first and only then switch the feed direction, else you are forcing the gears to mesh. Granted, it's not like he was running it very fast, but still...
Anybody have a thought on that, or am I just being too cautious?
Every lathe I have ever seen (which is two...LOL), including my current 1440, says to stop and shift. These are straight-cut gears, and not stopping the lathe will certainly introduce premature wear into the geartrain. You might have to rock the chuck back and forth by hand a tweak to get them to mesh, but that is the accepted procedure.

Reactions: jcp
Every lathe I have ever seen (which is two...LOL), including my current 1440, says to stop and shift. These are straight-cut gears, and not stopping the lathe will certainly introduce premature wear into the geartrain. You might have to rock the chuck back and forth by hand a tweak to get them to mesh, but that is the accepted procedure.
My Chinese lathe kit in a box would not shift at first, the safety label indicates under 200 rpm to shift, when i contacted the seller they said no turn it up to 700 rpm, after a few shifts at 700 rpm it works fine now, and these are straight cut spur gears.

This is what is listed in the PM1130 manual...

Before making ANY change in the gearbox set-
tings, STOP the motor. Move the spindle back and
forth by hand while easing the gears into mesh.

There is also a red exclamation point before that warning.

This is what is listed in the PM1130 manual...

Before making ANY change in the gearbox set-
tings, STOP the motor. Move the spindle back and
forth by hand while easing the gears into mesh.

There is also a red exclamation point before that warning.
that is what i thought but the seller of my 9X24 (this is not a PM lathe) specifically instructed me to shift the gearbox at an even higher rpm than the safety sticker on the side of the lathe, it worked as intended.

Back