It's Baseball season, A bit of Baseball History

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have a crazy story to share.
In early 1982, I was hired by a company called Westar. They made and sold, "Incrediball" Later purchased by Easton sporting goods.
I was sent to Port-Au Prince Haiti, to determine the working condition of some old baseball winding equipment. The plant where the machines were located, was next to a mango Chutney manufacturing plant. There were dump truck size piles of rotting mango carcus next to the sporting goods company, Lincoln Diversified.
There was no running water or any toilets. There was probably 45 women hand sewing leather baseballs inside.
I walked in to a side room where I was introduced to several old, AJ Reach and Company winding machines.
Well, I'm no expert but these are worn out.
I was asked how much to make them work? I have no idea but let me work on one for a week or so and I may be able to give you an idea.
Long story short my boss bought the equipment, moved them to a better facility and I got them all up and producing quality baseballs
They had the, "Westar" ;logo.
I continue to Google from time to time the, Reach winding machines.
I finally found this article.

The picture of the winding machine below, is the only pic I have found. The two wheels held 2 baseball cores. It took 3 different machines to make a 9" circumference ball.
The cams that kicked the rolling shafts could only produce a round core between certain growing specifications. Once we had a final size we sent the ball over to be processed by the finish winder. The finish winder wound cotton string that made the wool yarn shrink and made the core perfectly round, ready to have the two peanut leather jackets sewn on.
If you know anything about these machines please contact me. I would like to talk about the subject.
Thanks,,
Jeff

af_man010021.jpg
Chris Hornung
February 24, 2018
Page 6

Maker Spotlight:
The History of A.J. Reach & Co.
af_man010019.jpg
af_man010017.jpg
af_man010016.jpg
af_man010015.jpg
af_man010014.jpg
af_man010013.jpg
af_man010012.jpg
af_man010011.jpg
af_man010010.jpg
An Edison of Sport

The 1930's were difficult times for America and for baseball. The Great Depression wiped out savings and constrained disposable incomes of millions of Americans. Attendance at baseball games declined sharply as did purchases of sporting goods. Smaller athletic goods houses, such as Draper & Maynard, declared bankruptcy while others laid off workers, closed retail stores, and consolidated manufacturing facilities.

In 1934, all assets of A.J. Reach, Wright & Ditson were assigned to Spalding Sales Corporation, effectively ending the era of the sporting goods magnates. At the end of September, 1936, the Spalding Sales Corporation closed A.J. Reach & Co.'s famed Tulip Street factory and consolidated its baseball production into Spalding's plant in Chicopee, Massachusetts. At the time, the Kensington plant employed 500 workers, some of which had been with Reach since the factory opened in 1892. George Reach, who managed the facility, unsuccessfully lobbied Spalding executives to keep the plant running.

The Spalding Sale Corporation continued to produce Reach's Official American League Baseball guide until 1940, when it and the Spalding's Official National League Baseball Guide were consolidated into the Spalding-Reach Baseball Guide. In 1942, The Sporting News took over the annual publication of the Official Baseball Guide.

Spalding produced baseball goods in the Reach, Wright & Ditson name until the mid-1960's and would supply the Official American League Baseball, which it stamped with the A.J. Reach & Co. logo, until 1975, when Reach's 75-year run came to an end. In 1976, a baseball produced by Rawlings became the official ball of both the American and National League.

AJ Reach and company.jpg

My property is located 2 miles away from the original Adirondack Bat Company up in Doldgeville NY . My son and 2 classmates made this their senior project and we all toured the plant back 10 years or so ago . The bats are hand turned out of Ash still to this day . They have a dumpster full of bat ends in the back parking lot that locals use to start their campfires . :encourage: We also visit Cooperstown 5 times a year . Right down the road and that is what got me to the area .

I just saw this reply.
You have much more American history on the East coast. That 's great, firewood.
You have more machinery available due to the manufacturing of years gone by.
I don't like your winters. The firefly's and the basements are sweet.

Back