It's cold up here now...

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
About 2AM I wake up and the furnace fan is running and running......hmmmmm. It's time to get up and investigate so
take a look out the kitchen window to see the light on the boiler telling me it probably needs wood. Also looking out the
window I see my glass thermometer is reading exactly 25 below zero F. Outside the wind is blowing from the northwest
making a nasty wind chill of -50 or so. The stove was down to a few coals but enough to get a fire going so I found some
real dry poplar wood to get things going and piled in a load of ash, oak and birch and shut the door. It takes about twenty
minutes to heat about 100 gallons of water from 125 degrees to 180 degrees with good wood. Crunch, crunch, crunch
in the snow back to the house and back to bed.

IMG_0614.JPG

I use a computer program called windy.com and see the well below zero cold stretches south all the
way to Oklahoma! There is a ton of information on windy.com!

I am a few hours south of you, @cathead, and we have -5F here this morning. I think the wind chill is -21 or so. I don't mind the winter if there isn't extended cold spells like we had last winter. I believe that the whitetail deer herd took a blow last winter because we just don't have the deer around the property like we did a year ago.
The cold and snow give me a reason to get some projects done indoors or post on Hobby Machinist!

32 here in Md , guess I'll have to break out the shorts . Slept 14 hrs last night after 3 days of running around . Calling for some white stuff on Tuesday for a change . :grin:

I feel positively warm in our -12.3ºF.

Back when I was updating the heating system, I was encouraged to put in an external boiler system. I thought about having to venture outside and opted for a basement wood furnace instead. It's mornings like this when I'm glad I did. If I were putting in an external boiler, I would seriously consider a tunnel from the house to it.:big grin:

Back