It's eMco not eNco

Building Something

Active User
Registered
Here's a link to an Emco lathe available in San Diego. What are your thoughts? This is a little over my budget; but i was going to buy a new /used Chinese lathe, and this one comes with a mill/drill attachment. Probably more Drill than Mill but.........

Does anyone have any thoughts on this tool? Was it really manufactured in Austria? Because that company makes what look like world class CNC lathes.........awesome website.....no mention of any tools in this size range.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/tls/3580550546.html

I don't know anything about Emco, except yeah they are not to be confused with Enco, who don't make their own machines but most of them are Taiwan. Check out the following link.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/emco/page4.html

Great info darkzero but over my head. Some on this post have recommeded LittleMachineShop.com, I wonder how these stack up lathe to lathe?

Great info darkzero but over my head. Some on this post have recommeded LittleMachineShop.com, I wonder how these stack up lathe to lathe?

Again not sure, the Hi Torque series from LMS are very nice but they are also very expensive. LMS offers great support & I wouldn't doubt that they support parts for them. But IMHO there are better values available. Is size constraints more important or price?

A friend who has boats, has used this lathe/mill combo until just recently. He said it was the best that he had had over the last few years. It is not a BP mill nor it is a heavy lathe but he found it to be very good compared to the lighter Southbend and etc that he had over the years. He only sold it off due to a horse trade for a heavier Harrison, but his one regret is he no longer has milling capablity.
Pierre

I want it, but it's so expensive. Doesn't look too heavy, or large, money and space are a premium right now.....so I'm really interested. Light duty sounds fine for now, I just want something accurate so as my capacity for precision grows, my machine will keep up........thanks for the thoughts.

Emco (Yes, they are Austrian) are quality machines - the combination (3in1) are one of the FEW that are ranked as being actually decent. I seem to recall there is an 10 or 11" combo that is supposedly really nice. There should be quite a bit of info around, have you tried a Google search? And yes they tend to be expensive...

From the ones I have seen for sale, that is under the normal asking price. Most I have seen start at about $2500. We have some of the CNC ones here at work and they seem to be high quality machines.

I really need someone to tell me if this is a good investment.:dunno: It's more than I wanted to spend, would I be just as happy with a new 9x29 from Wholesale tools for $1295? Or maybe even a used fairly new Chinese lathe for $750?

I'm new to the hobby, but can tell I'm in for the long haul, I'm willing to spend money on something that will last. I know I will do a rebuild on an old iron someday, is this worth the $1600 swing? Nice guy selling it, I'm confident it's a sound machine for it's type. He bought something "much bigger" he said. I'll probably get a chance to see that one even if I don't purchase this one.......

Thoughts?

p.s to answer an earlier post this is indeed a 10", and it have variable speeds - no changing gears, just pulling levers.......

didn't see that last post..............$2500 hmmmmmm. So it's priced well but is it what I need or can I get away with spending less?

Back