Its good to have a CO2 fire extinguisher handy in a shop that uses CBN inserts.

Flynth

Registered
Registered
Well, I had a little fire in my "big" lathe's chip pan today and I was glad I always keep a CO2 fire extinguisher handy in the shop when doing anything that results in glowing hot metal like using CBN inserts or grinding.

I had some thin aluminum ribbons from drilling large holes in aluminium in the pan and the glowing yellow CBN chips set them alight. I always thought only magnesium does that, but clearly, aluminium is a hazard too.

For those that haven't seen CBN chips here are two photos I took that do them justice. They are as hot as they look like. To set aluminium alight they must be pretty hot.
Compress_20230422_014047_7461.jpg
Compress_20230422_014047_7667.jpg

So I thought I'll share this useful tip with everyone here :)

Why CO2 and not, let's say powder, or water fire extinguisher? I prefer CO2 because I was told it is the preferred fire extinguisher to use for burning metals, oils and fuel fires. It also works great on electrical fires. Powder is usually recommended as better for electricals but although indeed better at putting out electrical fires it also absolutely destroys electronics. One doesn't want to extinguish a small fire in one part of a shop and loose lots of valuable equipment like welders etc just because powder got into them and corroded the insides. Therefore CO2 is my preferred fire extinguisher type for a metalworking workshop period. If you also work with wood, a water extinguisher is handy too (just for wood/paper). Another benefit of CO2 is that you can control the stream od CO2 quite well in big extinguishers. You can also use it multiple times.

Well, I had a little fire in my "big" lathe's chip pan today and I was glad I always keep a CO2 fire extinguisher handy in the shop when doing anything that results in glowing hot metal like using CBN inserts or grinding.

I had some thin aluminum ribbons from drilling large holes in aluminium in the pan and the glowing yellow CBN chips set them alight. I always thought only magnesium does that, but clearly, aluminium is a hazard too.

For those that haven't seen CBN chips here are two photos I took that do them justice. They are as hot as they look like. To set aluminium alight they must be pretty hot.
View attachment 445301
View attachment 445302

So I thought I'll share this useful tip with everyone here :)

Why CO2 and not, let's say powder, or water fire extinguisher? I prefer CO2 because I was told it is the preferred fire extinguisher to use for burning metals, oils and fuel fires. It also works great on electrical fires. Powder is usually recommended as better for electricals but although indeed better at putting out electrical fires it also absolutely destroys electronics. One doesn't want to extinguish a small fire in one part of a shop and loose lots of valuable equipment like welders etc just because powder got into them and corroded the insides. Therefore CO2 is my preferred fire extinguisher type for a metalworking workshop period. If you also work with wood, a water extinguisher is handy too (just for wood/paper). Another benefit of CO2 is that you can control the stream od CO2 quite well in big extinguishers. You can also use it multiple times.
And in a pinch you can recharge a flat soda.

Good PSA. I didn't know aluminum could burn.

The only time I have ever seen aluminum burn was in powdered form. It can be explosive if an oxidizer is present. Never knew aluminum chips would burn. Thanks for the information

They use aluminum to make thermite.

Does aluminum burn? Oh yeah baby, it burns!

you’re probably lucky you didn’t have iron oxide in the pan too. FeO2 and Al are the primary ingredients in thermite, which burns ar approx 2500 degrees!

Pretty much all metal burns in one way or another, you just need the right conditions.

stick a match in a ball of steel wool and watch what happens….

Last edited:
Hmmm.... I use PCD for aluminum, it's amazing. I thought CBN was for super alloys and super hard steels? Anyway, I bought a few and had nothing but a bad time with them. Am I using them wrong?
More on topic, I love to turn titanium, but the horror stories are always running in the back of my mind. I know there are very "specialized" extinguishers for Ti? Is it Co2? Are you running crazy high rpm? I would think the same feeds/speed are for CBN as carbide and a bit more?

Yes all metal burns and at higher temps than most organic things. In the photos above note how bright the chip is.
The material I watch the most when machining is titanium. Won’t turn it until the chip pan is empty. It’s a fire waiting to happen. I won’t say what to put the fire out with, please research it yourself. I will say don’t use water. I watched a safety vid years back that showed a lathe chip pan full of titanium burst into flames. Fire was short lived but at such high temps warped the ways beyond repair. If I can find the vid I’ll post it.

Oh yes, never use wayee on a metal fire. The metal is so hot it liberates the O2 from the H, which makes the fire burn all the more energetically…

dry chem for metal fires. You want to remove the oxygen component and dry chem basically smothers it. Theres actually a special formulation specifically for metal fires…

Cryptic! I was looking at this...not that I'm trying to get any suggestions.... but maybe there are opinions. Even when I clean my chip pan, there is always tons of 32 & 68 on everything.
Cold Fire

We used purple K dry chemical extinguisher powder for magnesium wheel fires on aircraft, I think it crusted, and cut off the 02.

Back