It's hard to get motivation to work when it's 2 minus in the shop

30+ years working ski resorts. I understand what you are experiencing.

Hopefully you aren't 30' up a tower at 4 am with 40 mph winds. Glad I experienced stuff like that, glad I don't have to do it again!

How about building a heater in your shop! Lets you play in the shop, plus give you the option of getting warmer!

Bruce

I know what you mean. I have a nice job on the drawing board and am too cheap to heat my shop from 15 F up to a comfortable level. It'll warm up by April.

Bruce

I drive two diesel heaters and four large air heat pumps! But when it's 25-30 degrees out side, it's not enough to heat up 16145ft². 39 feet high. And when you roll into traileres and truck that is like a refrigerator it will not be warmer:big grin:

I don't have that problem in the winter, we have very mild winters here. Unfortunately, that means we have hot summers. Like, regular 115 F weather. I have a swamp cooler in my shop and it's insulated now, but you still don't want to do a big welding project in the middle of summer.

last few weeks I saw negatives for weather and boy was that cold. My shop is not insulated yet either. I wanted to make some headway with a bracket, so I went out there and fired up my 150,000 btu kerosene heater and only managed to get the shop to about 34F after being on for an hour. It was about that time that I decided to pack it up and go home.

No heat and the shop is well ventillated (read: drafty) enough that attempting to heat it above freezing is an exercise in futility. If it's cold enough that skin instantly freezes to the machines, it's too cold, otherwise I work for as long as I can tolerate it and plan for what I'm going to do when it warms up to something near freezing. My cutoff for tolerable temps in the shop is about 15F (-10C); if it gets up near freezing or more, I'm good all day.

We were blessed today - got up to 62° - outside. Shop managed to get around 54°, wussed out and turned on the the heat for a while.
I was trying to rewire an light fixture for our sidewalk and my fingers were getting numb.
I have my doubts if I could even handle 10° anymore. It was down around that back during the cold snap and I holed up in house,
at which point I longed for Gas heat and not a stinking heat pump.

Back