IT'S HERE! IT'S HERE!!!! (New miil Precision Matthews PM-833t)

blue_luke

Registered
Registered
Things went fast on this one!
I placed the order between last Christmas and New year, where usually not much happen but I told Matt that I am in no hurry.

On my order I had a 5" vise that got out of stock when I placed the order and delivery for those was due on the next blue moon!

Matt offered me the better one (Homge 'ultra precision') for the same price ! Which was due to get in last week instead. This amount almost to a 50% discount!

The machine was shipped last monday, I was expecting to get it next week, then go to the process of getting it imported, duty, taxes whatever... and then get it in the next few days...
Perfect!
I will have time to finish my new little shop in the basement.

It arrived at noon today at the shop where I work!

So is the metal I have ordered to build a base, and the machine has to be out by next monday! (To free shop space)

It's a BIIIIGGGG machine!, at least compared to my PM25!
My plan of getting it in chunks to make it easier to move is still valid, but this is a serious machine, total weight is at about 850lbs, so even the 'chunks' will be in the +200 lbs each.
I will have to devise a plan to get it in the basement and I will require some younger and stronger arms than mines to get it down. (1953 model here!)

I will keep you posted on the trials and tribulations of setting this machine in it's final place up to the first chips.... Which shall bee within the next 3 weeks or so...
By the way I have designed the base for it based on many ideas submitted here, which was another thread...

Sincerely, Luc

Went to the shop tonight to uncrate the machine... Here are some first thoughts....
The 5" Homge 'precision vise' is a beast! It looks very well made (in Taiwan, not China) http://www.homge.com.tw/product-PrecisionAngleLockMachineVise-HAV-4,5,6,8,12.html?cid=5
I also ordered a precision keyless drill chuck 0 -1/2" that is a work of art! http://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/0-12-ultra-high-precision-keyless-drill-chuck/
There is a small plastic toolbox that contains the handles, a cover that goes.... somewhere! an R8 to drill chuck arbor, I did not check what taper for the chuck, an R8 shell mill arbor which I did not examine any further, it looks 'ok' at first sight... a set of short metric allen keys, a manual that vaguely correspond to the machine! (the online manual from PM is much better!). I am very disapointed on something, there is no cheap useless wooden handle tools included with the machine! Come on! I am making a modern art sculpture with all those useless things I collect, so cheap that you can not even weld them! (toungue in cheeck here! :) )
I ordered also the 52 pieces 5/8' set of T-nuts holders. Usually this comes in a sheet metal rack that one can screw on the wall and keeps everything tiddy. My set came in a plastic molded case! The clamps, nuts and accessories are of very good quality, but this sort of case is useless! It uses about 4 times the volume of the metal rack, you have to fight to get a piece out and really, this sort of things has to be readily available at hand whenever you are holding parts, screws, tools and you just don't have enough hands and theeth!
I will make one of wood, but I whish I did not have to waste time on that sort of things!

I worked the handle to raise the head and to my surprise, it takes very little effort to lift the head, which is a rather heavy affair.
Speaking of heavy, you should see the motor! it is... just huge for a 2HP! 240Vac only.
I also tried the Y axis and it is very smooth also.

About the finish... I think they smoothed everything with some sort of Bondo' car putty. Since I need to disassemble the machine to move it, I am afraid the putty at the joint between the base and the column will crack and it will look rather bad after. It's only cosmetic, but it's a new machine and I whish, again, that I did not have to waste time on this.
I will have to be very cautious when I disassemble the column as there might be shims or what not to tram the column to the base... I wll see

All in all I am very impressed with the machine so far, it looks and feel right. This is a completely different league from a PM25! :cheerful:

Luc

Hope you enjoy your new machine! might be wise to cut the paint/putty at the joints you need to take apart to help with the chipping issue.

Couldn't you build an a frame over the entry to the basement and use a winch or comalong? Really a couple 4x4s screwed together a chain hoist and straps . Even an engine hoist from HF could do that weight easily. Just trying to offer help.

Couldn't you build an a frame over the entry to the basement and use a winch or comalong? Really a couple 4x4s screwed together a chain hoist and straps . Even an engine hoist from HF could do that weight easily. Just trying to offer help.
I tought of that but my problem is that i am afraid the wood stairs would not support the weight of the machine plus one man to control the descent.
At first I thought of going under the stairs and reinforce the structure but I have no access there.
Soooooooo.... in parts she goes down!

Today I went to my workplace where I don't work usualy on Fridays.
My plans for the day was to cut all the metal for the base and start dismantling the machine.

I took the Y axis handle and screw out in order to get the table out, and I can tell you, this is very serious machinery. The acme screw is very finely cut, about 1" diameter and a true 10 TPI. I will trust these dials for the time being.
Since I blew my original budget on this machine, and intend to convert it to CNC eventualy, this will have to wait about a year. Once the machine is installed and well broken in, I will probably install a three axis DRO. (budget constraint again)

On my PM-25 I have a 2 axis DRO and could not live without it, but the PM833 is such a better machine that I am sure I can go by as it is for now.

Just to give a bit of background, I am an industrial electro-tech and about 20 years ago I was working in a place where the boss let me use the equipment in the machine shop after hours provided I supplied my own tools like endmills, drill bits and the like. I was buddy buddy with the chief machinist, who was a certified millwright, and he tought me the basics of milling on a Republic Lagun with no DRO. When he found I was eager and keen at learning machining, his interest in teaching me, and another young fellow who worked with us at the time, got quite involved. Thank you Malcolm!
So on Fridays, we would go to the 'brasserie' and have a nice supper and some beer, (one on me, and the other on the young fellow) and head back to the shop until about 11 o'clock. We did that for almost 8 months! We were privileged to have such a good mentor!

So tomorrow I will start welding the base frame. I weigthed the metal and it comes to about 135lbs. The way I am building it will leave me the option to install some drawers in the base if it does not vibrate, and if it does, then it will be a simple matter to fill this volume with sand. I have not calculated the weight but it will certainly be more than 300 lbs! We'll see!

Yes pictures... I can take them but most forums are fussy about the size and number of photos we can add. I'll have to check how to add them.

Luc

This site appears to take any pic I point at. I literally just point to a pic on my desktop that could be megabytes in size and the pic is adjusted (or not) accordingly.

Yes pictures... I can take them but most forums are fussy about the size and number of photos we can add. I'll have to check how to add them.
I have had no problems posting pictures on this forum. Just put them up, and get back to us if there is a problem. I have not seen limitations on bandwidth, but it is nice to be kind to people who have slow computers and expensive bandwidth.

For those that are interested in pics, I do have pics posted of my 833T over on the PM side of this forum.

Pics of my 833T

Just the metal weight of my stand is 200lbs. I will be adding a cabinet to mine eventually for tool storage.

Yeah, Luke, I wonder what that cover is off of that came in the toolbox. Can't for the life of me figure it out.

Just a little up!
Thanks to a young, strong and smart fellow at work who I bribed to a nice supper, my machine, albeit in pieces, was safely and delicately brought downstairs with no dent, ding, broken piece, and more importantly, no injuries, back strain or body abuses!
I rented an engine block hoist and I bought one of those furniture hand truck... those where you can strap very tightly the piece to the truck.
Marc-André, the young fellow, was very keen and efficient at finding the best ways to unload the truck and move the parts of the machine, all between 200 to 300 lbs estimated from the garage to the basement in a safe manner both for the movers (him 21 and me 64!) and the machine.
I rented the 'girafe' (motor block hoist) for two days, so tomorrow I will reassemble the machine at it's final place in the basement.
Yeah pixtures!! well, my hands are quite full right now, so holding a Canon DSLR in a hand and a 900 pounds machine in the other, the pics will have to wait! :) Besides, there is not much to show, hoist the part, tie it to the hand truck, get it down the stairs, put it on the floor... Any day's routine....

Back