It's time to aquire metals. What do I want?

The first chips on the lathe was made with big scrap bolts. Grade 2 (3/8" & smaller) grade 5 & 8 from scrap yards, & repair shops. Spring U bolts cut down, suspension bolts ETC. They were all free. They machined like 1018, but probably wasn't. Great for learning to grind HSS blanks, how to adjust feed and speed. Still use them to this day for experimenting. Then I have a reference for "bought" known steel. And if you find any solid aluminum, just turn it. Don't worry about if it is 6061 or 7075 or something else.
Just Do It!!!

I too belong to the bolt turning club.
Long shanks, 3/4” of thread means you get nice lengths of usable round stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ebay is a good source of small pieces of various stock, especially aluminum.

Fastenal has a sale on 1144. I got 12ft of 3/4" round for $37USD. Same piece here was $300+ from metal supermarkets.

Old barbell sets have a 1" steel bar that machines ok, brass fireplace tools, color laser printers...

Online metals has a lot of useful information on their site even if you don't buy from them. They have weight calculators, hardness tables, melting points and one of the most useful, descriptions of different metals. I've linked to their product descriptions, but if you scroll to the bottom of the page look where it says learning center, there are all kind of useful links there.

https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/product-guide

I get that you just want to try some different materials but you can at least look to those that are easier to work with / avoid really bad ones. When you see the term "free machining" in relation to a metal that is a good thing for the machine operator unless you are a glutton for punishment. Be aware that for some reason good machining and good welding qualities often do not go together, so if you want to machine something and weld it your options are much more limited. In my limited experience smaller local metal supplies tend to lean towards welding supplies in their metal selection.

In steel 12L14 is nice to work with. 1144 aka stress proof is also nice and I've found it more readily available than 12L14 at least locally. 1018 is fairly cheap and weldable, but it doesn't get a great surface finish. I usually end up cleaning it up with some emery cloth if I need it to look nice. "Hot rolled" is similar (don't know what number it is, the local place just calls it hot rolled).

Aluminum 6061 is common and machines well, there are some that are supposed to be better but this is the only one I've used. It can also be TIG welded.

Brass 360 aka "free machining brass" which is a clue :grin: is nice to work with except for the freaking slivers.

Bronze is very similar to brass but it machines differently. I have no idea what kind it was as it was free, it came out real nice though and machined more like aluminum with long curls instead of a bunch of little stabby splinters.

If you can get your hands on some cast iron, it is worthwhile just for the experience. I would describe it as standing in the path of a hot sand blaster.

I've turned all of these except for the cast iron on my little Sherline mill, so I'd expect the 6" Atlas to be capable if working with any of these. I have not played with any stainless steel.

Last edited:
A good source for cast iron are used brake rotors.

Don't forget wood, hardwood is great for many projects, handles, knobs, dowels etc. I've made monitor stands out of particle board

I've been playing with 303 stainless lately. That stuff is almost as easy to work as 12L14. I get a nice finish on it as well. https://hobbymetalkits.com/ is a good source for small quantities without huge shipping costs. They stock all the stuff mentioned in the thread. If you aren't in a hurry, eBay has decent deals sometimes if the seller doesn't kill you on shipping. Irritating when you know it fits in a flat rate box easily.

One more option I like is PVC pipe/conduit. Cheap, and available. Cuts like butter. I really liked it for learning threading.

Back