I've been getting into Youtube lately .

i watch more YT than anything else
i have not cut the cord, but i really should- Internet and cable for $200 a month seems like gang r@pe

here are a few of my favorite channels, there are many more, but these could keep you busy for a couple weeks of binge watching

there is a guy, goes by the handle Primitive Technology
he does the most amazing (primitive living) things, by hand- i got hooked as soon as i saw his channel

another guy is Steffan Gottswinter
he exists on another plane of reality where everything is sub micron

Robin Renzetti
his level of precision and intelligence astounds my pee little brain

Trobjorn Ahman is a gifted blacksmith
he never fails to inspire

YT is great!!!!

Thanks for the tips on primitive and Ahman Doc, I'll check them out. A guy who straddles the place between blacksmith and sheetmetal is Jere Kirkpatrick on YT. He's also a guy after my own heart taking HF stuff and fixing and improving them.

Smarter Every Day and Smarter Every Day 2

This Old Tony is my absolute favorite for machining related channels. He makes great videos with his mild sense of humor, dad jokes, "magic", & time travel that makes good entertainment that's machining related. I'm subscribed to a lot of YT channels but there's only 2 that I have notifications turned on for, ToT & Bad Obsession Motorsport.

ToT: "Dead nuts... or for you metric guys, spot on". :D

We cut it (7) years ago. Mostly YouTube these days. Also have NetFlix but that's been deteriorating lately.
I signed up for the (30) day trail of Amazon Prime before the oral surgery, found a couple of movies but really haven't found much else to enjoy.
Mostly viewing YT while recuperating, mainly machining stuff which is just adding to my 'Wanna-Do' list.

Never really liked TV, even as a child. A good friend had one of the first color TVs in the state. I would sneak out on Saturdays to his house to watch cartoons in color. Other than that, my Pop wouldn't allow it unless he was watching, which was seldom. During my military time, months were spent at sea with no broadcasting station on board a small ship. And following, I spent so much time on "walkabout" and the saddle of a motorcycle that TV was a very low concern.

Even years later, working on fiber optics when the rural telephone companies were challenging large "networks", there was never time to sit and relax in front of the "one eyed babysitter". The only time I have for TV is since I retired. And having spent most of my life without, feel no desire to do so now. I prowl the internet now and just recently discovered YouTube. Fascinating stuff there. Wife (10 yrs junior) just has to have a TV on all the time. So I tolerate it, in the other room. She likes to watch her race car stuff on weekends. Just noise most of the rest of the time.

I justify it because of the fast internet service. The cost here of TV over just an internet connection is so low that it keeps the household tranquil for the most part. I spent a good portion of my "sit down" time at a computer. When I was forced into an "up to date" computer, I started using the internet a lot more. That's where I spend much of my time now since I have been forced into sit down time. But the TV is for the birds, I don't much care for it's programming. And I understood that cable TV would eliminate most advertisements. They missed the call there, for sure.

Bi11 I can relate and my X was how you wife is. Her folks were so bad they each had their own tv going 24/7 in the same room! Drove me crazy until I got into computers and then the net came along. My present SO hates tv more than I do and we do binges periodically when there is something good on Netflix. That's the confusing thing about this I need the cable for net and roku but don't get tv. Chronic tv watchers it seems to be like incense to them, just in the air around them and on all the time. Makes me super grouchy and I realized it's because it's all drama all the time including the commercials. Sadly my 90yrld dad has sunk into tv twilight with constant reruns of Gunsmoke etc. I'll know I'm ready for home when I go the tv veg route.

I haven't had cable since the early 90's. I also love YT for the most part but some of the channels now have as many commercials as cable :(
I have seen posts about folk who are OK with YouTube except for the video they are enjoying getting messed up with the commercials, but this is something I have never experienced. I have yet to see a single commercial of any kind included in a YouTube video. Maybe it is because I am using a FireFox Browser with uBlock Origin and a configured NoScript in the Add-On Extensions.

Then, if you get any crap from YT not delivering to your region, there is always www.hooktube.com where you replace the "you" with "hook" in the URL.

You can always resort to https://www.invidio.us/

You can experiment with a variant of the Chromium browser called "Brave". Note that is "Chromium", the open source variant of Google's "Chrome", which is a Google profiling nightmare! Read on Wikipedia before you play. You can browse with full control over how much you are the product. If you use "Edge" or "Bing"you are lost!

Finally, if you are a Windows 10 user, there are about 15 (or so) things, some of them really creepy, that you should turn off if you don't want to become an advertisements target. Even if you turn them off, it is an act of trust to believe they are really turned off. Now, I think pretty much all of the Microsoft apps that you did not install yourself are actually advertisements.

Maybe it is just the nature of me, but I do not believe there was ever an advertisement I encountered in my entire life that I did not actively seek out myself, and then act upon. All the rest, no matter how worthy, were wasted on me! They got zapped, dumped, avoided, or configured into oblivion! I do look at advertisements and "reviews", and eBay, and search Amazon, etc. but only because I actively want to, and never as a quid pro quo for some media thing I am interested in viewing.

Last edited:
All depends on the make/model of your device.
I use Roku, PC (Win7Pro), & Android devices.
The multiple ads show up frequently on a couple of the android devices, like an ad every 10-15mins on a longer documentary type video.
On the Roku it's usually just an ad at the beginning that you can skip after (5) secs or so.
On the PC I use Opera & Brave so they're pretty blocked off the bat.

Back