I've made a huge mistake

Evapo rust is a gentle method using tannic acid as a receptor and sulfur as an intermediate.

Isn't that what's in molasses? Slow, but cheap and a great rust remover on large surfaces.

Greg
Don't know if they are the same, but Molasses, is SLOW as Molasses... I once tried potatoes in water, and it worked, but it was weeks and stunk ... I had to get some charcoal and leaved the parts in there to remove the smell. Molasses is cheap , but we are talking weeks .. EvapoRust a day or so.

Molasses works much better if it’s warm — even just sitting the tub/vat/whatever in the sunshine will greatly hasten the process. My experience with it anyways.

I had to spend some time researching, and found a good journal article on the chemical analysis of the three phases of molasses. The first two cuts are essentially pancake syrup. Turns out there are no condensed carbohydrates that would provide enough structure to work like tannic acid (meaning molecular bay-region sorption selectivity in a carbon lattice). The stuff most likely to have hidden secret powers is blackstrap, but even that is mostly salts and unrecoverable sugars. No industrial use of blackstrap as carbon feedstock, so if molasses has any history as a rust remover, it's lost in the hollers with the moonshiners. Molasses was a waste product for a century of industry, so it did find a lot of uses, including as a filler for mortar. Today, most of it ends up in animal feed. Not much use in the shop unless you like to chew liquorice while you work.

Unlike molasses, evaporust doesn't taste good in cookies.
But it's reported as non-toxic.
Once I tried it the first time, I became a spokesperson.
My love for evaporust is just short of an addiction.
If you have something to big to dip, you can soak a rag in evaporust and achieve the same result, as long as you don't let it dry out. I've done a few engine blocks including the one in my current Opel GT where the engine was salvaged from a field where it had been sitting in a pile for (they said) about 10 years.

Unlike molasses, evaporust doesn't taste good in cookies.
But it's reported as non-toxic.
Once I tried it the first time, I became a spokesperson.
My love for evaporust is just short of an addiction.
If you have something to big to dip, you can soak a rag in evaporust and achieve the same result, as long as you don't let it dry out. I've done a few engine blocks including the one in my current Opel GT where the engine was salvaged from a field where it had been sitting in a pile for (they said) about 10 years.
Do you know how freaking awesome an Opel GT would be with a (obviously fuel-injected) Honda F20 motor and 6-speed behind it? Especially if you swapped in an independent rear axle and 4-wheel discs. I think 300 hp at 10k rpm might be enough. Stuff like that keeps me up at night. I lived two short train stops away from the Opel factory for over 7 years... To stay on topic, it would need to be rust-free.

Your warning is duly noted and appreciated. I had never thought of that before but it makes perfect sense after seeing what happened.

I am happy to see your tooling came back to life with the evaporust.

I am in the middle of restoring a Rockwell 16" radial arm saw that was left in the rain at some point in its life. I am a BIG fan of evaporust.

Do you know how freaking awesome an Opel GT would be with a (obviously fuel-injected) Honda F20 motor and 6-speed behind it? Especially if you swapped in an independent rear axle and 4-wheel discs. I think 300 hp at 10k rpm might be enough. Stuff like that keeps me up at night. I lived two short train stops away from the Opel factory for over 7 years... To stay on topic, it would need to be rust-free.
Going strictly with HP to weight ratio, 300 is too much.
The goal for most tuners of Opel GT's is 200hp tops. After that the tires don't want to stick to the road, no matter what direction you're going. They only weigh 1900 pounds.
Having said that, I met a guy who put a Honda motor in his. It was pretty fast but he said it was hard to drive.

One of mine is "rust free" as in it doesn't have any cancer. The other one, well, it looks good from a distance before the neighbor whacked the back.

Adding, I have 2 Opel GT's and 3 Fuel Injection systems. Someday I'll get off my butt and make one of them really nice. The rust free one has a rebuilt, never fired, oversized engine. The EFI controller is on the desk in my bedroom.
The other one has the engine pulled from the field. Also rebuilt but I probably have 5K on it now.

Back