[Newbie] jacobs 14s sprial chuck - 1928 ? Buffalo Forge 10" drill press

I never heard of one, and do not understand why Jacobs would make it that way. After a Google search, I found 2 pics. I guess the spiral could pull the key in, making it take less pressure to tighten the chuck. Just a guess on my part.View attachment 295553View attachment 295554

I have one of these chucks and this is the first time I have seen a chuck key for it..... I use mine as a paper weight....

thanks ive already tried to make one by grinding out a larger one,not much luck(trying to be careful not to damage teeth since its in great condition)

+1 on Choiliefan's idea of swapping a 14N sleeve onto your chuck. If you have a press, they aren't hard
to take apart, and you can clean and lubricate while you're in there. Not positive that it works, but it's
very unlikely that Jacobs completely reinvented the wheel just to put a different style sleeve on that chuck.

Here's a NOS sleeve on eBay:

Part numbers for the 14N sleeve is S14N, and key is K3.

I have quite a few other chucks that would possibley work thanks

There's got to be a way of making a new one right? it's basically a tiny pinion. Could be a fun project for people that have the equipment at least. I mean, helicals are easy right? :rolleyes:

Back