Jacobs Chuck Rebuilt Kit?

gi_984

Active User
Registered
I've got several US made Jacobs ball bearing 18N chucks 1/8 to 3/4 capacity. I've started having problems with twist drills slipping. So I know the jaws are starting to show their age. I've looked around for some new old stock US made rebuild kits without any luck. The rebuild kits from all the big dealers are Chinese.
Anybody know where I can get a US made rebuild kit?
Anybody ever regrind their jaws on a surface grinder successfully?

I have taken apart a few of my chucks and just honed any blemishes from the jaws, allowing many more years of service.
I doubt that you can accurately regrind the jaws and maintain concentricity within an allowable tolerance.

You can order directly from Jacobs or most industrial suppliers such as Enco. Those parts are not cheap, but they are OEM.

Matt

Matt, I've done the careful honing, etc. Jacobs stuff has been made in China for some time now regardless of what vendor you order it from. I tried a new Chinese made Jacob chuck a few years ago for a Clausing drill press that had a very worn US made Jacobs on it. The new one had atrocious run out and gripped almost as poorly as the old one I was trying to replace! I'm done with them and will only buy older US made Jacobs chucks and accessories or Albrecht.
I see original rebuild kits on E-bay but none for the 18N. If anybody has any leads I'd be much obliged.

[QUOTE "The rebuild kits from all the big dealers are Chinese." [/QUOTE]
[QUOTE "Jacobs stuff has been made in China for some time now regardless of what vendor you order it from." [/QUOTE]

Guys, only a smaller dealer, machine shop with old inventory, or an individual is going to have US made rebuild kits anymore. I've checked with all the big names and have asked. Some are honest and say China while others plead the Fifth.

Try contacting places that do machinery buy outs , there's a few across the country. I have a couple close to me but I'm unable to get there to even look now adays , one is Cooks Tool and machinery , the other is fazzios , both do sell on eBay , I've had no luck emailing Cooks , even fazzios never answered my email for prices on metal . And they use to know me by name at the stores. Guess when you grow big the guys who helped don't matter . But I bet they have some . Keep cking eBay I guess at best.

Hi Silverbullet. THANK YOU! I'll check them both out. Lost Creek Machine and Plaza Machinery are smaller places that do buy outs also. Done business with both of them over the years. But they haven't had any 18N kits since I've been looking.

I think you will have a better chance at finding an older and complete chuck than a repair kit. And with a repair kit you could still wind up with some kind of problem with the chuck. Granted, you could find problems buying a used complete chuck as well. You probably know the routine, fleabay, Craigslist, pawn shops, flea markets and? I would try fleabay first, with a search that doesn’t exactly match the description, if you know what I mean;).

Found two NOS rebuild kits. No more slipping! And a lot less than a good condition used chuck. They are out there if you are patient and keep looking. I'm saving the old jaws to see if I can regrind them. Will be a rainy day project.

IMG_20151005_175904.jpg

Back