Jamie's PM-30 build. Clear Path. Acorn. Arizona. Enclosure.

Full rules at: https://www.fsaeonline.com/cdsweb/gen/DocumentResources.aspx You can download a pdf of the 2022 rules.
Formula SAE was, and probably still is, the gateway into an automotive career. Tons of high tech and exotic stuff allowed. Wish it was around when I was in college, but it was after my time.
Beat me to it! This summer was my first experience and I was impressed with both the level of competition and scrutiny during tech. It certainly beats the motorcycle road racing tech that I am familiar with!

Rick Sparber, a forum member, has just published an article about a high precision, low cost probe in the latest (Summer '22) issue of Digital Machinist. The heart of Rick's device is a $5 Harbor Freight multimeter.

In addition, he's written up another electronic edge finder (EEF), which can be wired to a Centroid Acorn CNC controller for X,Y,Z touch-off:

I myself am just about to start fitting out a Taig 2019 mini-mill for CNC, and plan to include Rick's EEF.

Very interesting. If I had more time then I would probably explore that path to save a few bones. Electronics are not where my interests lie though so I only go down that hole when forced....

I used a Tab&Slot welding table for my stand, works great. If you have time and feel like it granite epoxy your column and base to make it more rigid.

3d printers are handy to have, I’ve been printing half of my parts before I cut them to make sure they work for the intended purpose.

I have been surprised at the amount of use that I've gotten out of the 3d printer so far. I just printed this but the layers made the ID of the cone just a bit too small so I'm reprinting with a +5% scale. CAT40 holders for the guy who's going to plasma the sheetmetal for the enclosure. Lip is for snapping into the base he's making for the side of his mill.

Doing a polypropylene tank for methanol injection on an RX7 next....hopefully after I get the motors bench tested and machine design finalized.

Attachments

• 20220722_194109.jpg
    20220722_194109.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 16586543105325361417416357314662.jpg
    16586543105325361417416357314662.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 70
Bit of a necro bump but did you have trouble with clearance issues with this CNC kit for the PM30?
Having a bunch on mine...worst is the X axis ballscrew flange and nuts do not have clearance for the table...like 0.070" worth of interference.
Did you have to machine out a channel on the bottom of your table on the PM30?

Bit of a necro bump but did you have trouble with clearance issues with this CNC kit for the PM30?
Having a bunch on mine...worst is the X axis ballscrew flange and nuts do not have clearance for the table...like 0.070" worth of interference.
Did you have to machine out a channel on the bottom of your table on the PM30?
I will get that problem fixed for you. A new X nut with different bolt locations should do it. All the new 30 casting have changed slightly.

Continuing to follow this topic with interest. Any updates, OP?

Back