Jamie's PM-30 build. Clear Path. Acorn. Arizona. Enclosure.

I’m on vacation right now. Happy to share more thoughts later on, but this might get you started.
Thank you so much mcardoso! I'll be in Michigan on Jun 15th to 18th for Formula SAE....I owe you a beer!

I’m running Acorn with Stepperonline hybrids on my PM30 and I’m happy as a clam. But I’m a noob to.

So I bought a 3D Printer for CF-Nylon and had to focus on Formula SAE for a bit, then started a new internship.....but I'm back on the wagon!

My ballscrews/mount kit came in from ArizonaCNC and looks good aside from some minor dings in shipping (Thanks Dave!).

Time to get all the electronics ordered and figure out the stand/enclosure solution. As much as I'd like to build it on my own, I'm thinking of either having it sub'd out or just buying a solution that's ready to go. Thoughts anyone?

Oh; here's some photos for anyone that may be interested. First is the wheel/shifter that was printed...second is an example of competition...third is the ballscrew kit from Dave!

Competition was pretty tough in Michigan! I've gotta get this thing up and running during the summer before classes start back!

And a video of the tilt test. Pretty cool towards the end with the CG test.

Attachments

• 20220618_124007.jpg
    20220618_124007.jpg
    697 KB · Views: 93
  • 20220618_164138.jpg
    20220618_164138.jpg
    986 KB · Views: 90
  • 20220702_222323.jpg
    20220702_222323.jpg
    925.6 KB · Views: 89
I used a Tab&Slot welding table for my stand, works great. If you have time and feel like it granite epoxy your column and base to make it more rigid.

3d printers are handy to have, I’ve been printing half of my parts before I cut them to make sure they work for the intended purpose.

I've gotten all of the big ticket items in now. Ballscrews, ClearPath servos, IPC5, Acorn, Ether1616, MPG, touch probe, conductive tool height setter, C86ACCP, Beelink computer, touch screen monitor, 24X24X8 electronics enclosure and inductive proximity sensors for home/limit switches.

Now it's just a matter of slowly setting it all up and bench testing while I order the DIN rails, solenoids and other associated electronics to complete the cabinet.

I also designed a new enclosure; then went to a riding acquaintance's shop who showed me some of the wonders of a plasma table and sheetmetal in Solidworks....so I get to do it again. Third time's the charm....right? At least on the next one after this model I'll have a more mature design for the polycarbonate windows, sliding doors, and electronics attached via rivnuts to the back and rivnuts for a VESA articulating arm on the front which will hold my touchscreen with the minicomputer hidden behind it.

1658544528023.png

Oh; here's some photos for anyone that may be interested. First is the wheel/shifter that was printed...second is an example of competition...third is the ballscrew kit from Dave!

Competition was pretty tough in Michigan! I've gotta get this thing up and running during the summer before classes start back!

And a video of the tilt test. Pretty cool towards the end with the CG test.

Those are pretty cool race cars. What class of cars are they? What engine do they use? They look small like a go cart but supper high tech.

Hello all. First and foremost thank you to the admins and contributors for creating this depository of information. I've seen the other threads on this but I'm looking for the most up to date information as it seems like there have been a couple of disruptive technologies implemented since my last foray with the G0704. I've spent a decade looking into subtractive and reading forums just like this one. For every one person making a post like this, there are likely hundreds who have the same question. The days of paralysis by analysis are over for me however and I'm ready to make the leap!

My name is Jamie and I am looking into building a CNC machine. I purchased a G0704 in 2014 with the intention of converting it to CNC, but then joined the military shortly thereafter and made the decision to sell it with the plan of coming back to it once I get out. Fast forward to today and I am ready to make the leap.

some way for touch off...I've seen converted Renishaw probing as well as cheaper new options
a more quiet air compressor than my loud standing craftsman

Rick Sparber, a forum member, has just published an article about a high precision, low cost probe in the latest (Summer '22) issue of Digital Machinist. The heart of Rick's device is a $5 Harbor Freight multimeter.

In addition, he's written up another electronic edge finder (EEF), which can be wired to a Centroid Acorn CNC controller for X,Y,Z touch-off:

I myself am just about to start fitting out a Taig 2019 mini-mill for CNC, and plan to include Rick's EEF.

Back