Jammed Morse taper sleeve

Howardd

Registered
Registered
I have a Morse taper sleeve stuck in the tailstock of my PM 1340 lathe. Tried using Kroil with no luck.

Any ideas as to how to proceed?

Thanks

Howard

Are you able to see the tang of the sleeve in the tail stock spindle? My PM 1340 GT has a slot to insert a tapered wedge through the spindle, you have to crank it most of the way out to see it. If not, maybe pull the whole spindle out and see if you can get a punch in from the back.

Some tail stocks are designed that you back them all the way in, and the screw from the handle, will push the tool out. If your tool was one without the tang, and is too short, maybe take the quill all the way out, and insert a short hardened pin, that just clears the threads, and then screw the quill all the way back in, so the thread will push against the pin, and in turn push the tool out.

You could also remove the spindle from the tail stock, put a spacer in there, then reassemble and use the screw to push the sleeve out.

Less banging is usually better!

Rotate handle until it is all the way out.
You will see a slot cut in the tailstock quill.
Use a wedge to break the seal on the taper.

Unfortunately the sleeve too short and without a tang, the back of the sleeve is well forward of the slot in the quill. When I run the quill all the way forward it hits a stop and does not come out of the tailstock.

Any other ideas short of taking the tailstock apart?

We call that "wedge" a drill drift --- They are sized according to the M.T. size.

Could You put a small nut into the quill and use a wedge or trying to turn the handle then?

Expanding arbor used for pulling bearings. Harbor Freight has a slide hammer kit that has one. Maybe make a tool that fits through the slot and reaches forward to the back of the sleeve to push it out. Taking the spindle apart usually isn't that difficult, they usually just crank all the way off the end of the thread and pull out.

Back