Jaws too tight on a 4 Jaw chuck

I had a lockset on my back door that was sticking and I went to a locksmith and bought a product called "Key Lube". It is an aerosol graphite product and it works very well. Locks don't like oil because it attracts dust and grit, so this product would work well for you.
ANy big name auto parts store, most any big fishing places that have lots of reels and supplies, stores that sell bike tools and repair parts, and of course the mentioned locksmiths.
They should all have graphite products in a dispersant.

I got dry graphite at the BORG, where they have the oils, and WDs and PB products

I gotta tell ya Sharon, it sounds like those jaws do not go to that chuck. Have you checked the fit up of the jaws to their respective screws with the chuck apart?

"Billy G"

molybdenum disulfide solid film lubricant
https://www.google.com/search?q=sol...796,d.b2I&fp=9610ee3d36cde05&biw=1366&bih=643

or if you prefer Graphite Dry Lubricant
https://www.google.com/search?q=sol...796,d.b2I&fp=9610ee3d36cde05&biw=1366&bih=643

Graphite Dry Lubricant in a solvent base for dispersal is used for bike and motorcycle cables and locks.

molybdenum disulfide solid film lubricant I found as part of weapon maintenance in the US Army. Im sure it has other uses with as many suppliers as Google finds

Thanks. While searching online for a local supplier, I read that the graphite spray damages paint so I didn't like that if true. Went to my local Grainger & picked up the moly dry spray. They had the graphite too but it sounds like the molybdenum disulfide is a better product. I'll give it a try tonight.

The carrier in "dry lubes" will often damage paint.

And graphite is a very fine particle in these lubes, it gets into pores of metal, paint, ect.. and ,yes it does "stain"

So Im careful where I use it, door locks especially, as you don't want to get that stuff on a nice wood door.

Thanks. While searching online for a local supplier, I read that the graphite spray damages paint so I didn't like that if true. Went to my local Grainger & picked up the moly dry spray. They had the graphite too but it sounds like the molybdenum disulfide is a better product. I'll give it a try tonight.

Hey Will, maybe try some tri-flow which is a teflon (PTFE) lube that comes in spray cans and is available at Lowes. The carrier is a very light oil that basically evaporates. I used it on the magazines of my target pistols. Did a fine job of lubing and didn't collect soot.

Ray

Hey Will, maybe try some tri-flow which is a teflon (PTFE) lube that comes in spray cans and is available at Lowes. The carrier is a very light oil that basically evaporates. I used it on the magazines of my target pistols. Did a fine job of lubing and didn't collect soot.

Ray

I didn't get the graphite spray so there's no worry of solvent damage. I did try the moly dry on some painted surfaces to test & it diesn't seem to be harmful. But regardless I don't like it for using on the scroll & jaws, I don't like how it applies. I do have other ideas for it including the open gears so it's not a total waste. I'll just stick with what I have been using for a while that has always work fine on all my chucks.

Back