Jc Machinist Classes Still Live-for A Price

$400 for a semester is probably the current going rate. I paid about $350 for my last machine tool class semester a year ago. That included materials. Previous classes were about $300 and some change if I remember right. The welding classes are a bit less expensive. But still include materials. I've always gotten my money's worth out of the classes in just materials I've used. And the instructors did not mind you going thru the scrap bins as long as you asked and didn't abuse it.

I run the machine shops at the local Community College, we have both manual and computer controlled machines. My background is with manual machines but I was involved in computer created toolpaths for a CNC WEDM and CAD during my working career. At the skool the previous dept head bought equipment and, basically, it has sat unused, he was the only one trained on it's operation and he is no longer there. I've only been there a year and a half and have spent the lions share of my time going through the manual equipment, getting it fixed up for teaching the students the fundamentals of machining. My philosophy has been that you have to understand HOW machines work to make them work properly, understand what it is you are trying to make the machine do. My new boss has heavily relied on me to run the hands on part of the classes he teaches. We are slowly figuring out the CNC equipment, me, him and the students.

For the life of me I can't figure out why the Tech high skools and Community Colleges don't offer Adult Education classes like they did when I was younger. I learned basic car mechanics and welding at them, our Admin keeps saying we are facing declining enrollment and to keep offering classes they jack up the price to attend classes, making higher education that much further out of reach for people. It would open up other revenue streams to them with almost no investment, the equipment is already there and mostly sits unused.

I have floated the idea of opening up the shop for Adult Ed but pretty much hear crickets chirping. I have offered to run the classes but have been told that I am part time and we have a hiring freeze on full time positions, if I work any more hours I would be considered full time and, being fulltime, they would have to offer me benefits. I have explained to them that I don't need benefits and would decline them for a little more in my paycheck. I have been on my wife's insurance since I quit my very good paying/benefits job to raise our daughter way back in 08. Still, nothing.

I have floated the idea of opening up the shop for Adult Ed but pretty much hear crickets chirping. I have offered to run the classes but have been told that I am part time and we have a hiring freeze on full time positions, if I work any more hours I would be considered full time and, being fulltime, they would have to offer me benefits. I have explained to them that I don't need benefits and would decline them for a little more in my paycheck. I have been on my wife's insurance since I quit my very good paying/benefits job to raise our daughter way back in 08. Still, nothing.

We're investigating doing the same but with a business. Get a line of widgets, hire in folks that want to learn a trade. They learn a trade and get paid.

There are far too many people who are skilled with, and need to work with, their hands but are pushed into cubicles and computers because that is what the current paradigm says to do.

Good on ya, TommyD. We hear political promises of bringing back manufacturing jobs. Maybe it will happen as Chinese workers demand higher living standards, and the US companies run out of cheap labor pool countries. Let's hope.

As an Engineer, I had to document our tooling and processes and send them to china. You betcha I have skin in this game. I have budding Engineers that have no clue how to make things, I want them to understand what we are up against. I look at labels when I buy, sometimes I just don't have the money, or work, to justify good tools so I buy cheap, guilty and I'll admit it. I do try to buy quality, DeWalt in particular but it's all made in china..wot is a boy to do? I compare, say, tomato hoops, chinese are thin crappy metal that bends when a Robin purchases on it. An American made tomato cage is three times thick material and 3 times the price but it IS strong and lasts. I TRY to buy quality when I can, I TRY to buy American when I can. Remember this at Christmas, please.

Back