JD GT325 carb and tractor restoration . Pic heavy .

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Getting into this project now and noticed something . The PO said the tractor would run with starting fluid thru the air cleaner but would not stay running . I pulled the hoods and deck off and pulled the carb off . The carb looked good as far as I could tell . I found a black wire that was cut and taped in the area . All the carbs I see on Epay have a wire to the bottom of the carb . This carb did not have a place for a wire . :( I'm wondering if someone cobbled this at a point ? Either way , a new carb is on the way , the new seat and battery are here and I'm ready to paint .

This is the Briggs 18hp Vanguard engine and not the Kawasaki used in the later years .

Check out Chickanic on Youtube. You may find help there.

Think I found the issue . Ordered the carb , spark plugs , filters , tubes and wires . Total was $24 shipped . Someone along the line of ownership put a new bowl on the carb that was not compatible .

Tractor is almost stripped . Hoods are off . Pan is off . Deck is off . This thing needs bath in the worst way . I found no rust thru on the deck . When removing the spindle guards I found what's in the pic . I NEVER use guards on any tractor I own or restore , just rust waiting to happen . All spindles are good , blades look like they cut rocks for many years . Now , to find the power washer down the basement .

Attachments

• IMG_1221.JPG
    IMG_1221.JPG
    422.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1222.JPG
    IMG_1222.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1223.JPG
    IMG_1223.JPG
    798.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1224.JPG
    IMG_1224.JPG
    783.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1225.JPG
    IMG_1225.JPG
    688.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1226.JPG
    IMG_1226.JPG
    992.3 KB · Views: 19
Just a FYI ,
The carb running on starting fluid indicates to me that the pilot jet has a blockage of some kind.
Since you’re going to replace the carb, I guess it doesn’t matter.
Good luck with her!

The wire is for a shutoff solenoid to prevent after-run.

Ethanol gas is a killer for smaller carbureted engines.

I'm just finishing up an overhaul of an Onan P218 for my wife's JD 318. Std. crank, +.010 pistons, aluminum spacer for the governor balls, and a new intake valve seat on one cylinder. The old intake seat came loose and was hanging on the valve like a bracelet. I couldn't get a new seat, but found a Caterpillar part number that was close enough in size to fit with a slight overbore.

Not bad for a 40 year old engine!

Don't tempt me Mike ! :grin: Pulled the gas tank and drained the turpentine out ! The Kubota helped with the original squirt down of the deck . Waiting on the son to bring up the power washer from the basement ( I'm not EVEN stepping down there ) . :grin: I'll wait until the carb comes before doing anything on the tractor itself . I'll have to make sure the PTO works before digging deeper and painting . 380

BTW , was that a big or small block on that pic ? :eek: No adult beverages today (yet) . I have to drink 2 bottles of Barium for a scan tonight at 8pm . But after that , it's game on . :drink: I found a link on the left rear side . Not sure WTH it was until I found a bolt missing . The link holds up the left side of the gas tank over the tire . Here I thought it was part of a parking brake . I'm thirsty .

Attachments

• IMG_1227.JPG
    IMG_1227.JPG
    641 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1228.JPG
    IMG_1228.JPG
    454 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1229.JPG
    IMG_1229.JPG
    471.8 KB · Views: 11
Back