Jet 1024 P paint color

cokdnlokd

Registered
Registered
Fellow members, does anyone out there know the paint color name or paint number for the JET lathes. Its type of green sort of reminiscent of the GM diesel line and or Sperry gyrocompasses although a little greener. I have done all suggested checking out , cleaning, inspecting and lubricating the lathe I bought and was lucky lathe is fully functional and came with a large number of extra tooling. Now I want to spruce it up a bit. Generally the paint is mostly in good shape but I want to give it a makeover. Any help really appreciated.

Even if you had the paint name, or a Jet color code (if such a thing existed), that won't be much help in finding paint. Your best bet is to match the color yourself. Rustolium is cheap enough, and sold in different size cans, such that you can do a custom mix to get close, while not spending crazy money in the process.

Thanks for that. The color does seem to be in between Sperry green and GM marine green which was I believe called Mint. Thanks likely the way I have to go.

Having owned one of those lathes, it was a strange color. If you continue to own it for a long time you would probably be happier if you choose a readily available off-the-shelf color over trying to match the original color. Wish I still had mine. It's head and shoulders better than most lathes of its size and weighs about 200 pounds more than similarly sized machines.

YouTuber "Woods Creek Workshop" has some videos on replacing the bearings in a 13x40 Jet. He mentions in one of the bearing videos that he uses a catalyst to his off-the-shelf enamel that makes it harden better. He starts taking about the catalyst with Rustoleum at 3:20 in this video.

David, thanks for that information. I have come to agree that changing to a standard color will be best and for sure a catalyzed paint will be faster, harder and much more serviceable. Thanks again. I am on my day job down in Louisiana and when I return home in a week I will get on this next phase of the lathe makeover.

Rustolium Farm Implement comes in John Deere green. That seems close. Maybe lighten the tint with some white? I'll bet that would be pretty close. And as mentioned, get some hardner. I used Krylon off Amazon when using Alkyd enamel.

Last edited:
Thanks Nesse 1 I am looking at all the options and that is also a good one.

I have a 1981 Jet lathe with the same pea green color. I tried Rustoleum's camo green. When it first went on it looked pretty close because it was wet. But as it dried it went flat and does not match.

One thing I've done is to take a piece of a machine to a Sherwin-Williams store to have them scan it. The computer comes up with a blend to match the sample and is generally very, very close. That will take into account fading over time, etc. I'd suggest their oil-based All Surface Enamel and add a touch of Magic catalyst so it will be enough more durable and cure a lot faster. Surprisingly, it doesn't cost much more than buying stuff off the shelf and trying to mix it yourself...it's about $30 for a quart.

G Man, I had thought that was possible maybe at a body shop as they scan too but if I can find a paint store that does I will.
Thanks and PS I would buy extra for touch up.

Back