Jet 1236 Rebuild Problems ....... Lost Teardown Pics !!

Junk1414

Registered
Registered
Good Day all,
I tore down the threading gear box on my 1236 due to a bearing failure and took a boat load of tear down pics and then lost the device the pics were on.
The posted 1024/1236 manual isn't of much help as it is very vague and the hand drawn pictures are hard to follow.
Does anyone on here who has one of these have a better manual or some pictures of a clean gear box so I can reference where all the parts fit back in?
Even a picture with the cover off the threading gearbox would be worth a lot.
My lathe is actually a 1983 Astro International but as far as i can see, it's identical to the Jet model of the same era...

Thanks in advance!

So much for digital recordkeeping :cupcake:
I'm sure somebody here will be able to help you out- in the meantime, troll the net for gearbox info and pictures
-Mark

Welcome to H-M.

There are multiple manuals in the Jet Manual Section that cover the 1024/1236 family of lathes.

They are from a number of the other "Names" the lathes were sold under in addition to the Jet Brand. (From them I've cobbled together my own personal manual, as each often contains a tidbit of information not covered in the others.) The Grizzly G9249 is the most detailed and the drawings in it are the clearest.

There are a number of us here on the site that have 1024/1236 family of lathe, depending the parts/locations, I or others may be able take pictures of our lathes to help you.

Thanks!

I did order a generic set of manuals for this from UK. Hopefully when they come, they are detailed and I can scan and share.... In the meantime I will look up the Grizzly G9249 to see if that will help...

I did read the write up about all the other manufacturers of this style of lathe and I did see some pics of them and they all look to have a very similar gearbox on them which is good......

Anyway thanks for the replies......

@Junk1414, I have an Enco clone of the Jet and Grizzly 12x36 lathes. I have a ton of teardown pics and ended of taking mine all the way down to individual pieces for cleaning and reassembly. Let me know if you need clarification or help with the assembly.

Thank You...

So far these exploded views of this grizzly are pretty good. then if I look up the part numbers on Grizzly's Parts store, it shows me pics of that actual parts for clarification as some parts on the lists just say for example duplex gear and don't say how many teeth. If I run into any issues from here I may hit you up..... Thanks again for all the help!!

No problem! It is a nice lathe, been very happy with it.

Mine as well, I'm replacing all the bearings in the gear box with really good sealed bearings.

Back