Jet 1236py threading issue

Jek11688

Registered
Registered
Hey guys,

Recently acquired my first lathe a 83 Jet 1236py. I've read every thread on here about them to get some good general knowledge. I got some basic tooling and have done some facing, turning, parting, boring, drilling etc in some 6061 and brass. I recently decided to try some practice single point threading and ran into what I think may be an issue but I don't know. I can't get the machine to thread a pitch correctly during my scratch pass. I've tried large and small pitches (all SAE no metric) and they are consistent but don't match up with the thread gauge at all. That led me to make sure my gears where set up correctly and deciphering the metal tags and charts on the machine. The way I see it (for SAE its supposed to go through 40T 127T and 40T. The top gear above the 127T and below the reversing gears is the 40 and 34T the 40T is receiving the force from above and the 34 is transferring it to the 127T. Is this correct? In looking at any and all pictures online it appears to be set up correct currently. If I turn swap around the 34 and the 40 it doesn't touch and mesh the reversing gears.

Am I missing a second 40T gear that goes in place of the smaller 34T that is riding on the 127? Or in my ignorance do I have something else not set up correct? More pictures can be provided if necessary.

20230408_005007.jpg

I'd think that there should be gears with equal numbers of teeth meshing with the 127 tooth gear.

Welcome to H-M

Search the web for the Grizzly G9249 Manual (Treading starts at page 42). It is one of the most comprehensive manuals for this Jet family of lathes. They were sold under a number of other brands.... Tida, Lam, Grizzly, etc.

If you make a contribution to the site (starts at $10yr) you can get access to the Downloads section. There are a number of manuals from the various brands the Jet 1024 and 1236 lathes were sold under. Each has bits not covered in the others.

From your picture Gear "A" should be a 40T and match Gear "B" 40T, to cut the SAE threads in the main Jet Treading Plaque. Other combinations of Gear A and B are used for "less common" SAE threads or for metric threading.

If you are missing Gears, Grizzly has them available. I purchased a set for my Jet 1024, that were missing.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/g9249/parts

30T = P/N 1116, 32T = P/N 1117, 40T = P/N 143 46T = P/N 1118 They range from $20 -$45ea

Hope this helps.

Jet Treading Gears.png

Purchased the 40T = P/N 143 P9249143 it is the correct number of teeth and pitch however the bore is to big. I need one with a bore of .63 (5/8") vs the 143 having a bore of .71

I'm guessing there is no way to make some sort of keyway bore bushing huh.

Last edited:
That's a bummer!. I just pulled the 40T off my 1024P and it also measures ~0.71". Jet must have changed the shaft diameters between the P an PY.

IMG_8080.JPG

All you really need to do is center the gear on the shaft. Since the key is only takes up a small portion of the circumference, you could try and place some 0.004"-0.005" shim stock (edit: Opps, I missed a decimal there... 0.04" to 0.05", which shim stock would not work well to wrap.) or feeler gage between the shaft and gear, wrapping it from one edge of the keyway to the other.

Last edited:
Back