Jet Gh1340a

bobrl

Registered
Registered
Hello forum. I am new to this site and new to the machine world ! I am near retirement as well !! I just purchased my jet lathe and cant find much info on it. Hope to find some owners on here ! Thanks.
Many questions. First is the foward / reverse control arm on the carrage. At least i think it is suppose to reverse it. Mine wont and it only has one position switch on the end of the shaft that the lever operates. Thanks Bob.

Welcome aboard!

Normally you push down for forward, and up for reverse. At least that the way mine is wired, but it could be either way. I would have to look, but I think mine has 2 separate limit switches that the cam contacts. Mine is about 25 years old. Some of the newer ones have a drum switch assembly in a box at the end of the shaft. The drum switches are available on ebay, I would have to find the right part, I think I have the part number around somewhere.

..............................Many questions........................................First is the foward / reverse control arm on the carrage. At least i think it is suppose to reverse it. Mine wont and it only has one position switch on the end of the shaft that the lever operates. Thanks Bob.

Bob,
Welcome to the "friendly machinist group".

You need to look at the tag on your machine and determine what the Jet stock number is for your machine. The GH1340A does not tell the whole story. The stock number will also lead you to the manuals for your machine on the Jet Tools web site if they have it posted.

I have also recently adopted two Jet GH-1340A lathes discussed in the following two post:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/questions-about-a-jet-lathe-gh-1340a.38860/

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...-321350-an-unplanned-project-adventure.42491/

My GH-1340A lathes are Jet stock # 321350 and I have attached a photo of mine below. The manuals for this version are M-321350 (operator) and M-321350-1 (parts).
Jet 1340A As Found.jpg

The link to a manual that Steve posted above is for the later model. You will notice that there is a ledge in the head stock control area on the newer one.

The manuals for mine are not on the Jet web site but I have hard copy and will try and get them scanned if these are the ones that you need. Just let me know and I will get them to as soon as possible. It might take a little longer than normal as I have eye surgery later this week.

The answer to your question according to my manual: "Power is connected properly when pulling up on the forward-reverse lever causes the spindle to rotate counter-clockwise as viewed from the tail stock."

Good luck with your new toy and be aware that this hobby is an illness and you will have to continue feeding the habit with more tools.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

Edited to correct link

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!

Normally you push down for forward, and up for reverse. At least that the way mine is wired, but it could be either way. I would have to look, but I think mine has 2 separate limit switches that the cam contacts. Mine is about 25 years old. Some of the newer ones have a drum switch assembly in a box at the end of the shaft. The drum switches are available on ebay, I would have to find the right part, I think I have the part number around somewhere.

Morning. Thanks for the info. R u saying i can change out the switch on there now and get a switch on ebay? Wont i have to do some rewiring ?
Bob,
Welcome to the "friendly machinist group".

You need to look at the tag on your machine and determine what the Jet stock number is for your machine. The GH1340A does not tell the whole story. The stock number will also lead you to the manuals for your machine on the Jet Tools web site if they have it posted.

I have also recently adopted two Jet GH-1340A lathes discussed in the following two post:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/questions-about-a-jet-lathe-gh-1340a.38860/

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/jet-gh-1340a-lathe-stock-no-132150-an-unplanned-project-adventure.42491/

My GH-1340A lathes are Jet stock # 321350 and I have attached a photo of mine below. The manuals for this version are M-321350 (operator) and M-321350-1 (parts).
View attachment 122308

The link to a manual that Steve posted above is for the later model. You will notice that there is a ledge in the head stock control area on the newer one.

The manuals for mine are not on the Jet web site but I have hard copy and will try and get them scanned if these are the ones that you need. Just let me know and I will get them to as soon as possible. It might take a little longer than normal as I have eye surgery later this week.

The answer to your question according to my manual: "Power is connected properly when pulling up on the forward-reverse lever causes the spindle to rotate counter-clockwise as viewed from the tail stock."

Good luck with your new toy and be aware that this hobby is an illness and you will have to continue feeding the habit with more tools.

Benny

Thanks for the help!!! I figured out the forward /reverse thing!! I didnt look close enough, some one replaced the inside forward sw , and the operator on it is too small to have the cam operator on the machine to reach!!Spoke to Jet, (very nice Lady) and the proper switch is available @$58.00!! I am going to go thru all my issues on the lathe then order what I need!!! Hope they have all parts !! lol My stock # is 321350
Thanks again!!!

Happy to hear you figured it out.:encourage:

.............................. lol My stock # is 321350
Thanks again!!!

Bob,
Glad you are making progress on your lathe.

I made a mistake when I posted a link and manual part numbers for the earlier version of Jet GH-1340A lathe stock #321350. The machines that I have are the same version, 321350, that you have. I have corrected that error with the help of one of our great moderators.

Was Jet technical support able to provide you with manuals for your lathe? My offer for copies of the manuals I have still stands if you need. I have eye surgery in the morning and will be out of commission for a while but will get scans done as soon as the doctor gives me an all clear.

Corrected link:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...-321350-an-unplanned-project-adventure.42491/

Benny

Bob,
Glad you are making progress on your lathe.

I made a mistake when I posted a link and manual part numbers for the earlier version of Jet GH-1340A lathe stock #321350. The machines that I have are the same version, 321350, that you have. I have corrected that error with the help of one of our great moderators.

Was Jet technical support able to provide you with manuals for your lathe? My offer for copies of the manuals I have still stands if you need. I have eye surgery in the morning and will be out of commission for a while but will get scans done as soon as the doctor gives me an all clear.

Corrected link:

Benny

Hello Benny , the Jet tec did email me a copy of the operators manual, but it is the same as the one online! Poor copy !! How much would you need to make me a good copy of the operators manual?? Thank you sir!! Good luck with your surgery!!!! Bob.

Hello Benny , the Jet tec did email me a copy of the operators manual, but it is the same as the one online! Poor copy !! How much would you need to make me a good copy of the operators manual?? Thank you sir!! Good luck with your surgery!!!! Bob.

No charge, I will make if my first project right after the honey-do list when I get doctors release. Easy job, no lifting just what the doctor ordered. I need electronic files to be able to print shop copies that I can get it dirty and keep notes in. I hate to mess up the originals.

My operator manual is a clean original hardcopy and should scan well if I take my time. The parts manual is a copy that the dealer made from an electronic file. I am not so sure it would be very good print if I reproduce with another scan. I will take a flash drive with me the next time I am in Nashville and get a copy of the electronic file from the dealer.

Jet must have recently added the 321350 file to their manual site. It was not there when I first started looking at my lathe in the dealer warehouse.

Benny

Back