[4]

Jet JMD-18

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

coolidge

Active User
Registered
Inbound my new drill press. Shopped for a used drill press, nothing of interest except an old Delta/Rockwell with a tiny table. Then shopped new drill presses, they lack the rigidity I need so I increased my budget and ordered this Jet and stand today.

mikey

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Cracked me up! Coolidge, you realize that you're setting the bar on basic machines a bit high, right? I can just see it now - the guys who own round column mill drills are thinking, "Hey, this guy is calling my milling machine a drill press!" (I happen to be one of those owners, by the way.)

The truth is that the design of the head on this machine is exactly the same as a standard drill press but with bigger components and castings. It is a beast of a drill press, that's for sure. It is also pretty decent at light milling, too, if you upgrade the bearings in it.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
The biggest issue with using bench top round column mills as drill presses is the lack of headroom for taller work to fit under the spindle (also the slower setup time). If it wasn't for that I would just sell my drill press. A mill beats it in just about every other way. My floor model drill press stays for now, even with a knee mill on hand.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
The biggest issue with using bench top round column mills as drill presses is the lack of headroom for taller work to fit under the spindle (also the slower setup time). If it wasn't for that I would just sell my drill press. A mill beats it in just about every other way. My floor model drill press stays for now, even with a knee mill on hand.
I agree, if I had a need or the room for a floor model drill press & a nice fancy one at that, something like the PM932D that jbolt has would be a good choice.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/something-a-little-different.55567/

coolidge

Active User
Registered
Cracked me up! Coolidge, you realize that you're setting the bar on basic machines a bit high, right? I can just see it now - the guys who own round column mill drills are thinking, "Hey, this guy is calling my milling machine a drill press!" (I happen to be one of those owners, by the way.)

The truth is that the design of the head on this machine is exactly the same as a standard drill press but with bigger components and castings. It is a beast of a drill press, that's for sure. It is also pretty decent at light milling, too, if you upgrade the bearings in it.
This is a hobby drill press...

This is a hobby milling machine...

coolidge

Active User
Registered

mikey

Active User

coolidge

Active User
Registered
I have already confirmed with Haas that it will fit under my garage door. With the 20 tool umbrella style tool changer, they don't offer the side mount tool changer on the mini mills anymore and when they did, it would not fit.

12bolts

Global Moderator
Registered
I guess we must have differing opinions of what is a hobby......
This is a hobby drill press...&...This is a hobby milling machine...
Cheers Phil

coolidge

Active User
Registered
Last edited by a moderator:

MarkM

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
So how has the jet jmd performed? Made in Taiwan?

MarkM

Sorry To be a pain but really interesested in your view coolidge having had a gear head mill drill before. Jet is including the stand and free shipping until the end of june. Planning on the jmd18 pfn. Ready to purchase. Thanks!

Eddyde

Bronze
Registered
Sorry To be a pain but really interesested in your view coolidge having had a gear head mill drill before. Jet is including the stand and free shipping until the end of june. Planning on the jmd18 pfn. Ready to purchase. Thanks!
The original poster of this thread left the site some time ago. If you want info on this machine I suggest starting a new thread asking for owners of the machines opinions.

MarkM

This one particular poster went from a dovetail column to a round column and has some background. Thought he would have an interesting view.

Eddyde

Bronze
Registered
This one particular poster went from a dovetail column to a round column and has some background. Thought he would have an interesting view.
Yes Coolidge is the OP, he hasn't posted on HM in over a year.

[6]
[5] [7]