jeweling jig

keltg

Active User
Registered
I was using a wooden jig for Jeweling bolts but it was not very rigid and it was difficult to fit odd shaped bolt carriers and parts into. I had some angle iron laying around and this is what i came up with works well enough on all the bolts i have jeweled. the pictures are before i cleaned up the body and painted it. Bolts used are 1/2" with a hole drilled into the end of one to accept a pin that goes into the firing pin hole, and another drilled through to accept a pin that helps to turn the bolt. I use a marked rule spaced 3/16" apart to space the swirls on the bolt.

DSC_0065.jpg DSC_0066.jpg

I like your design. I was looking at some aluminum bar stock today and thinking of making a jeweling jig. I want to make a lead screw at the base to space length wise. The even spacing and over lap of the swirls really show up when the spacing is correct. How are you going to control the spacing? Les

I like your design. I was looking at some aluminum bar stock today and thinking of making a jeweling jig. I want to make a lead screw at the base to space length wise. The even spacing and over lap of the swirls really show up when the spacing is correct. How are you going to control the spacing? Les

The bolt head that supports the rear of the bolt has a mark that lines up with the center of the point of the hex head as well as a mark in the center of the flat of the hex head. the amount turned from the flat to the point equals about 3/16 of an inch on a half inch bolt head. I have a steel rule that is marked every 3/16 of an inch with a smaller mark in the middle of the 3/16" marks. I follow the 3/16" marks with the bolt head lined up on the flat, then i turn the rear bolt to the point and follow the marks on the rule in the middle of the 3/16" marks. the pattern turns out very even a sample of the pattern is shown in Model 8 Remington thread. I jeweled the bolt carrier as well as the safety lever. It is a little crude I know; but it does make an even pattern and the customers that have wanted jeweling have all been very pleased with the way the pattern turns out. A compliment from a smith of your caliber means a lot thank you.

Brownells offers a free set of plans for a Bolt Jeweling jig, they sell a ready made jig that is very similar to our shop made jig.
Brownells may very well sell the jeweling jig but after a few orders at Brownells and having half of my orders unable to be delivered because of Brownells signing out of country no shipping clauses, it has been easier to just build what i needed, rather than try to figured out what Brownells can and cannot ship into Canada.

Back