JO-Blocks

Rifleman1384

Registered
Registered
A friend of mines father is a retired machinist and is somewhat over 80 now, anyway my friend was telling his father about my hobby (addiction) and I just rcvd a box containing some Starrett goodies and other stuff. I rcvd a set of JO-Blocks that have the Ford emblem as well on them. Someone please let me know the correct way to care for these, a few do have some corrosion on them and I would like to find an original box to put them in. Not sure if the complete set is there but it look like they up to 4", not sure of the value if any but I could never sell them just because they were a gift from someone I really don't even know. Thanks for you help.

Steve

That is super cool!!
I would make sure to wipe each one down with a petroleum distillate to remove finger prints, acids etc then keep them in a tightly sealed wooden box with VCI paper. Change the paper once a year. But, for something as special as your set, let's see what the experts say.
I'm excited for you.

This video has a segment about Mr. Johansen during the depression when he was saved by henry Ford. Moved to Detroit and the rest is history.

I would have posted the same link! Great stuff and a real important part of history. Congratulations.

Sweet score! The story on how Ford came to manufacture them is neat.
No box though? Can you post picts of your score?
How's the humidity in Arkansas?
I've had to resort to keeping my good stuff in the house because of corrosion.

Two ways to go with treating them.
CRC makes some very good 'Corrosion Inhibitor' products.
I've been using a home-brewed method that is here on the forum.
For cleaning up the existing corrosion I would go with diamond paste lapping
Robrenz and Tom Lipton (oxtoolco) up on Youtube have a few good videos on 'How-To' for lapping.
You can buy a diamond paste assortment up on eBay reasonably priced.

Someone asked for photos, so I spent a lot of time today cleaning these but they still have stains from handling. I used a nylon soft brush and WD-40.

I have 81 pieces

1 @ .050
.100 to .1009 in tenths
.101 to .150 in .001
.200 to 1.00 in .050
2.00, 3.00, 4.00

I am sure hoping someone has an original wooden case I can score to put these in. 81 pieces that's a complete right??

Thanks,

Steve

That's a complete set. Great score! Personally I wouldn't use any lapping stuff on them, it removes more than just dirt. Try not to affect the manufacturer's markings. Wipe with an oily corrosion inhibitor, store with the treated paper. Make a wooden box that you treat with the corrosion inhibitor. Don't use a wood that is high in tannic acid, like oak.

The blue oval usually just means that the owner has questionable taste... I'd be worried about performance and too many trips back to the dealership!

I know, some feel strongly that it isn't funny. It's really not cool to pick on the slow kids... I better stop. It is a very nice set of blocks.

One thing you can do is wipe the blocks down with lanolin. It will reverse some of the surface rust, and protect them in storage. VCI paper will prevent new rust from starting and should be considered mandatory. I would not use any abrasives. Gauge blocks usually have enough moly and chromium to keep them from rusting in all but the nastiest climates, so what I think you're seeing is decades of slight surface rust. Get rid of that, store them properly, and it shouldn't come creeping back.

Keep an eye on the auction site for an empty box for them. Or possibly a set that is missing a bunch and you can get a good deal on them. A nice piece of history there.

Joe

Back