Job Pricing

I'll give it a try tomorrow or the next day and see how many I can knock out in an hour, or how long it takes me to use up a four foot piece of stock, which ever is first. I don't want to work for free, but I know it will have to be cost effective for him as well. I'll check back.....

Man, this is why I retired... I don't care how much I can make, there's no way I'll ever go back to the mind-numbing task of knocking out one identical part after another for hours on end, day after day and month after month.

The money has to be good to justify the boredom. Be careful. I've done my share, now I only play at what I find fun or challenging.
I used to get an order for 6000 bundle boards every few months. The saw could cut them faster than I could palletize them. I would start to get tired and the saw would push them off the out feed onto the floor. Good $ but no fun.

At 150/mo, I wouldn't get too worried about getting bored for a while. That has to be less than a day's work. If you can't kick out 20/hr you probably better find another trade.

Sorry, was under the weather for a couple of days...

I picked up a 4 foot stick of the tubing the other day. I found that I can make a finished part at a rate of one every three minutes. 92 pieces out of 48 inches of material. I was a bit worried that this would end up making the parts too expensive for the customer, but he seemed pleased when I talked to him. We're supposed to sit down this week and try to work a deal. Apparently the consistency of the parts is what is most important to him. I found that finishing the second end of the part was easier in a drill press instead of trying to put a .410 long part in the collet and then remove it. I put the chamfering tool in my X/Y vise and put the part in the drill chuck. Touch the OD of the part with a file to break the edge, drop the part onto the chamfer tool for the ID, finished. That part of the operation takes about 30 seconds a part.

Dan, if you weren't half way across the country I might take you up on that. I know where there is a W&S 3a, but it's been sitting outside for several years. It's also missing a few parts. I never thought about doing something like this. I had a chance at a turret lathe in an auction a few months ago and didn't bid on it. It went dirt cheap, too.

Pricing can be tricky, but your approach sounds reasonable. Consider factoring in material costs and any additional expenses. Since this is an ongoing job, you should offer a competitive rate to make a profit while keeping your neighbor's business. It's crucial to balance fair pricing and maintain a long-term working relationship.

I know it involves a second set up, but I'd chuck the tubing in a collet. Face the end, chamfer, part off and repeat. If you don't have a DRO to help position the parting tool for length, make a collar 0.415" long that slips over the tubing. Set the parting tool on the LH side of the collar (slip the collar over the tubing) and move the carriage until the RH side is flush with the end of the tubing. Lock the carriage, slip the collar (depth gauge) off, and part.

For the 2nd side, use either a bored 5C emergency collet (bore the 1/2" hole 0.300" deep) or possibly a normal collet with a stop. Insert "side A", face to length and chamfer.

Bruce

Pricing can be tricky, but your approach sounds reasonable. Consider factoring in material costs and any additional expenses. Since this is an ongoing job, you should offer a competitive rate to make a profit while keeping your neighbor's business. It's crucial to balance fair pricing and maintain a long-term working relationship. Or you can read the specialties on the Chhattisgarh Govt Jobs News platform to see how much employers are willing to pay for the work done. Good luck with your work, and I hope this opportunity proves to be a successful venture for you!

Back